Top 10 recipes for 2011 and Roast Pork in Dominican Republic


"Puerco asado" is the typical meat eaten on holidays in the Dominican Republic. The pigs are roasted on a spit, called "puya" that spins over burning firewood. Not much seasoning is used because  their flavor comes mainly from the smoked wood. I ask a friend that always roasts for us how they season it and he told me they just use a garlic- oregano rub and kosher salt. Pork roasted on a spit has a superb taste!

An amazing amount of pigs are roasted in many street stands in the rural areas the day before Christmas and New Years Eve. My hubby and I drived by a few stands and enjoyed watching hundreds of pigs being roasted.  I manage to get a few pictures, but since it was late night I couldn't get a picture that showed all of them roasting at once.

En español: AQUÍ


If you do not have access to a local stand that roasts pig like these or if you prefer to roast your own pork ham at home I recommend this post:

Here is my "pernil" pork ham in brine:


I made some deep cuts with a knife and filled each of them with a little of the following mixture: 5 Tablespoons of oregano, 2 heads of crushed garlic, 2 sachets of Goya seasoning with annatto (achiote), 3 tablespoons onion powder or ADOBO and 2 teaspoons of salt. I then left it in brine with all other ingredients as indicated in the brine recipe. This ham is 15 pounds (6.5 kg) so it will bake for some 4-6 hours.  Let me know how GREAT you pork ham tasted when you do this :)



Mari's Cakes 2011
Some recipes of  2011 en Mari's Cakes
They were many favorites this year, these are the Top 10 I selected:


MORO de GUANDULES (Rice and Pigeon Peas)



CINNAMON Cookies



Chocolate EGGNOG



Bizcocho de TRES LECHES de CHOCOLATE



CHALLAH



CHOW FAN



Lemon Chicken with Thyme and Garlic



YANIQUEQUES



OATMEAL COOKIES



CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES with CHOCOLATE CHIPS



I would also like to take this opportunity to wish you a happy New Year full of blessings for all. Thank you all for your support, the wonderful comments and emails that I receive constantly. THANK YOU for making me feel like family and for being part of this blog.

En español: AQUÍ

Strengthen the hands of those who are weak. Help those whose knees give way. Say to those whose hearts are afraid,"Be strong. Do not fear. Your God will come.
He will pay your enemies back. He will come to save you." - Isaiah 35:3-4

Happy and Blessed 2012!


Recieve Mari's Cakes (english) new recipes and updates by mail, to subscribe enter your email address:


14 Friends Have Comment:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful recipes all year long! Happy New Year 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your baking creations are always fantastic! So glad I found you this year. Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing can beat roast pig and cakes!!! Great recipes and creations.

    Happy new Year!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a New Year's feast your family had, Mari!
    Love the roundup of all your fantastic baked goods, you are so talented, and I admire each and every beautiful cakes, cupcakes, and desserts you've made in the past year!
    Happy New Year, my dear friend...in health, wealth, and prosperity:DDD
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet that pork tastes amazing!! And what a beautiful selection of recipes...your top dishes are fabulous! I'm loving that challah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year Mari! I bet it smells wonderful when all of those pigs are roasting over an open fire! How delicious!
    Your recipes looks so good, you are an amazing baker and cook and I would love to sample some of your cooking!
    My love and prayers for you this coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Pat! It so nice to finally have time to sit and read the blogs a like. Thanks for your prayers, they are very much needed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That must be so interesting to see as you drive around the area. So different than here. I bet it was delicious! All your posts are fantastic:)Happy New Year my dear. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy reading your scrumptious blog! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been quite a year and your beautiful recipes show that! Those pictures of the pigs are making me hungry. I've so enjoyed getting to know you this year and I look forward to sharing more with you in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me encanta ver este monton de recetas en un solo post, todo se ve riquisimo. Bendiciones para este 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think for meat-eaters, that pork would be quite delicious.
    Love your other recipes. Happy 2012 to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All those pigs roasting - I bet the smell is amazing! What a delicious end of the year round-up. Happy New Year! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cakes are beautiful....DELICIOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to leave a comment. Thank you for visiting Maris Cakes.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...