Today's recipe is one of my favorites for years. I've had it since the 90's. The original recipe has no egg yolks and is made in a bundt mold. Normally I make this cake,and serve with no frosting and it is delicious. It's texture is like an angel food cake, but with pistachio. On this occasion I wanted to decorate it and do it in layers..... I have to say I liked it even more! You can frost or decorate this cake with Vanilla Buttercream, Italian Meringue, Italian Meringue Buttercream or fondant. Please note that there are more photos for this post in the spanish version of this recipe, if you are interested click on link below the last photo where it say AQUI.
Vanilla Pistachio Cake
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon almond extract
6 large eggs separated
½ cup ground pistachios
For Filling: I used 2 boxes of instant pistachio pudding and pie filing prepared with 3 cup + 2 tablespoons of milk. (Ready in 5 minutes).
1. Lightly grease and flour 12-cup tube pan or three 9" round pans. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt, separate eggs and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl often (3 -4 minutes). Add egg yolk one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Incorporate the dry ingredients alternately with the milk and extracts mixture.
5. With clean beaters, beat egg whites at high speed until soft peaks form. Fold into batter. Fold in ground pistachios.
6. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake in 350°F for 50 to 60 minutes in a tube pan or 30 - 40 in regular cake pans. Bake until skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Cool on rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on rack.
Yields 16 serving of one inch slices or 24 cupcakes.
a) The filling had a good flavor and went well with the cake. You can also use an almond flavored pastry cream.
b) The recipe makes enough to for two 10 " pans if you prefer.
c) Green colo could be added if you want a greener tone.
For more photos and Esta receta de bizcocho de pistacho en español: AQUÍ
Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear their threats; do not be frightened.” But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. - 1 Peter 3: 13-15