Suspiro, Dominican Frosting or Meringue


The Suspiro, also called Dominican Meringue or Dominican Frosting is used to frost the Dominican Cake and for cake borders and decorations. The following recipe is simple and easy to do. I hope you have a happy and pleasant experience doing this suspiro recipe.

El Suspiro también llamado dominican frosting o suspiro dominicano, es un lustre tipo meringue, usado para cubrir bizcochos y para los bordes del mismo. La siguiente receta de Suspiro Dominicano es sencilla y fácil de hacer. Espero que tengan una muy buena y feliz experiencia al hacer este suspiro.



Recipe for the Dominican Frosting and Step by Step Instructions

 
Ingredients:
For the syrup
2 cups granulated sugar
½ cup of water
1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)

For the egg whites
1 cup = 8 ounces of egg whites (about 7 or 8 eggs)
pinch of salt
teaspoon of Cream of Tartar (optional)
¼ cup of sugar (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla


Preparation:
1. In a pot place ½ cup of water, 2 cups sugar, and lemon juice (optional). Mix well and let the syrup mixture come to a boil (read note d).

2. When the syrup begins to thicken slightly, two minute before desired consistency is reached, begin to beat the egg whites with salt and cream of tartar at maximum speed using the whisk attachment. Add the ¼ cup of granulated sugar by sprinkling in the form of rain (optional) while the mixer remains beating at high speed . Continue to cook syrup, being careful to stir constantly to prevent sugar crystals from forming (read note d).

3. Add syrup to the egg whites that have been already beaten into soft peaks while the mixer is beating on high speed (KA speed #10) in a continuous stream until it finishes. To find out when the syrup is done you must enter a spoon or a bamboo skewer and if dripping is in the form of a thread it is ready to pour over the egg whites. Note: It should have a consistency of Karo syrup and a temperature of 245ºF.

4. Continue beating meringue on high speed until the temperature has cooled and you get the desired consistency. Add vanilla when a cool temperature is reached. When done, the meringue should have a shiny appearance. You'll know when it's ready by touching the bowl with your hands, if it feels cool, has a strong peak consistency and shine, then it's ready  (read note d).

You are ready to decorate! Relax and enjoy decorating the cake.


Notes:
a) The syrup must be hot while pouring it to the egg whites, to get them cooked properly and avoid the egg smell. Never let the syrup cool because it will stick to the pan as it gets very hard when cooled.

b) To add color just add a few drops of the desired color at the end of process. The more color you add the darker it will be. If you want to use white for some decoration remember to remove and reserve in another bowl before adding the color.

c) Make sure all the utensils and machine to be used for making this Suspiro are clean and free of grease, oil or butter residue. After washing them thoroughly wipe of with vinegar or vodka. If not cleaned properly the meringue won't come out right and would be flat.

d) In step #1 the lemon juice is optional, it is used to prevent sugar from crystallizing in the syrup, but it is not necessary, you could do this recipe successfully without it. In step #2, ¼ cup of sugar is optional but I recommend it because it helps the egg whites beat with a stronger consistency helping the end product be a fluffy and strong meringue perfect for piping decorations. The cream of tartar acts as a stabilizer and adds volume to beaten egg whites, this is also optional but recommended. In step #4, I advice you to be careful not to use oil based flavoring like the orange and lemon extracts. Grease and Meringue do not match and you'll end up with a flat meringue.

e) If you have any questions, leave a comment. I recommend you check the questions I have already answered in the comments area. You can also find more information on how to prepare this recipe, DOs and Don'ts, and the version of this recipe to cover a half-pound cake (it is the same recipe above, but all divided in half), which is ideal to practice, in: Preguntas sobre Bizcochos en general, Cupcakes y Suspiro.






The following pictures show just a few of the things you can do with the Suspiro (Meringue). There are more pictures in my FLICKR gallery, link is at the top menu bar.












A video on how to cover a cake with this frosting:



“Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.” Ecclesiastes 12: 13

Made the recipe but still have questions. I have put together an eBook with all the facts, notes and techniques on how to prepare italian meringue successfully.


Get your SUSPIRO eBook copy HERE.


CoverHowtocookDominicanStylebyMariNunezkdp
eBook by Mari available on Sweet eBooks, and on Amazon.

86 Friends Have Comment:

  1. These cakes are beautiful! how do you get the frosting to be so smooth? I avoid making this type of frosting even though we all prefer it, just because I find it hard to smooth. I'd really appreciate your input. Again, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Nane13,

    This is very easy to do and use, al it take is practice, believe me ALOTof practice. : )
    I just posted a how to video in You tube where I crumb -coat and frosta a cake with suspiro. here is the link: Como lustrar un bizcocho con suspiro it is in spanish, but if you have any question feel free to ask. Hope this helps,
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the link. The video helps a lot!

    By the way, how do you control the consistency? Is it how long you beat it for or the amount of the ingredients?

    Also, is it true that you can put fondant over suspiro?

    I'm curious. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola Nane13,I would say that to control the consistency of the suspiro is both, how long you beat it and the amount of the ingredients. Measurements have to very precise, and after you add hot syrup beat until you feel bowl is has cooled down.

    Yes, you can cover a cake with suspiro like you would with cream or buttercream and than cover with fondant. Just let it crust a little, preferably over night or at least 2 hours.

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola Mari wow me encanta tu blog!!
    Gracias por ayudarnos!
    I learned to make dominican cake and bake and cook all by myself and I love it!
    Is my passion
    I am a single mom of a wonderful 10 yr old boy. I am unemployed and looking to start making cakes for people.
    I wanted to ask you why does my Suspiro come out soo soft not as thick as I want it?
    Should I keep mixing until I get the texture I want? I am afraid of over mixing it.
    Thank you!
    I love your cakes you have so much talent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judy, I am glad it was a success for you and that you liked it. para que el suspiro no te quedo flojo, make sure the sugar is measured well, and that you add 1/4 of sugar I mention in form of rain when you start beating the egg whites (B4 you put the syrup). The syrup should be think, like corn syrup. You could beat until the mixing bowl feels cool, when you touch it.

    Hope this helps : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hola Mari,
    Una pregunta sobre el suspiro...
    Con que aticipacion se puede preparar el suspiro antes de decorar el bizcocho?
    Gracias,
    Marisol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hola Marisol,

    Cuando estés lista para decorar, entonces preparas el suspiro, yo siempre lo uso de inmediato.

    El suspiro no es como el buttercream que se puede preparar con anticipación. Mi recomendación es de prepararlo justo antes de decorar el bizcocho.

    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hola mari,
    Primero que todo quiero decirte que el biscocho dominicano me salio pero a la maseta. Fijate mi padres comieron dessert para la noche y cuando se despertaron para desayuno haha. Que chistoso. A toda mi familia le encanto muchisimo. Gracias a dios por ti.
    Bueno mari te escribo porque queria decirte que aunque el biscocho salio delicioso tube un poco de mala suerte con el suspiro .
    Se via y de sabor esta rico. pero cuando fui a maquillar el biscocho el suspiro se me deritio. No queria cojer bien. Si no queria irse del biscocho y no intiendo porque. Si estaba tan bueno?

    Que hice o que hago?
    Y gracias

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hola Rafaelina,

    Me alegro de tu éxito!!!

    Sobre el suspiro, si quedo rico es solo cuestión de practica. No te desanimes, hasta a mi me pasa a veces cuando ando rápido. Puede ser que no dejaste que el almíbar llegara a espesare. La próxima vez trate de dejarlo un poco mas. A continuación de dejare con un link en donde encontraras la receta de suspiro reducida a la mitad y preguntas y respuestas parecida a la tuya.
    Preguntas y Respuestas.

    Espero que esto te ayude.

    Un saludo,
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am doing a project on dominican republic and for extra credit is to make any simple dish from dominican republic and i am currently enrolled in a culinary school and was wondering if all the recipes on the website for the meringue and the cake batter all half recipes or was the cake batter a full recipe? or if you have any other suggestions for me to make thats easier for a class of 20 that would really be helpful :]

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous- this supiro recipe of 2 cups of sugar and 1/2 cup of water is a"full recipe" Meaning it covers and decorates a 1 pound cake. The goes for the Dominican Cake, unless it states it is for half a pound.

    You could find the measurements by pan size here:

    Cake pound measurements. Hope this helps. Any further questions please email and leave your name.

    Thanks for visiting,
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  13. My problem is also the texture of the suspiro because mines came out good but not as thick as urs. How do u make it thick and what is cream of tartar? u know the lines of the decorations that come out as u decorate wasnt coming out. I think its because of the texture and how long u mix it for. I kept mixing until cool just like u said. Where did I go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  14. My other question is how long can u leave a cake out after baking it and then to frost it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gismelp - like you said, you are doing it by hand, that is definitely why it comes out different. Like the directions say, in the Dominican cake recipe, let cake cool completely before decorating.

    Un saludo,
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  16. HELP ME MARI!!!! Okay I finally got my Kitchen Aid 5 Quart Mixer to perfect my frosting. Last night I made a half pound cake and put the white icing on and made some orange icing for decorations. This morning I look at the cake and the orange color is bleeding on to the white. Do you think I added too much coloring? This has never happened to me before and this was the first time my frosting came out with the perfect consistency with my new mixer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Imelda- It is so wierd, I never heard of a cakes color bleeding into the frosting. A cake shouldn't bleed. Did you cover with orange syrup, or any syrup at all?

    It could be the suspiro coat is on too thin. Next time try crumb coating and adding more suspiro on the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mari, I think that the color bled onto the white because my husband covered the cake overnight and my apartment was hot so maybe the heat and humidity in the room made the color bleed. It never happened before so hopefully it won't happen again. Thanks for your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Imelda- that makes sense. The heat and frosting together made it sweet.

    Thanks for updating me.

    have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jasmine Diaz/NYCJanuary 10, 2011

    Hi Mari. Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I have made this cake twice and it tastes far better than where we order ours. My only problem is the suspiro. I followed the instructions and the smell, texture and taste were there, but when i went to spread it on the cake, it somewhat began to evaporate?? and the consistency was gone. I'd like to know what am i doing wrong as this happened twice for me. all I can think of is that maybe i didnt let the egg whites beat enough before adding the syrup. How long before I add the syrup to the egg mixture? Thanks, Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jasmine D.- I am glad you made the recipe. I wish I had a photo to see exactly how it looks. My advice would be to carefully measure all the ingredients especially the water.

    Have the egg whites all measured and ready on the bowl. Start the syrup first, when it begins to thicken, start beating the egg whites and sprinkling the 1/4 cup of sugar in form of rain. Add the syrup when the egg whites have soft peaks (foamy), in a slow continuous stream while you continue to beat the meringue on fast speed.

    If you have photos please email them to me. mariscakes@live.com

    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Mari, silly question... Maybe but do I use Confectioners sugar or granulated sugar for the suspiro? I love dominican frosting and been searching everywhere on the web for this recipe thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous-

    For the suspiro you use granulated sugar.

    To make royal icing you use powdered sugar.

    Hope this helps.

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much Mari... I used confectioners sugar as per a different recipe, but your recipe and the pictures look like cake you could sell at a bakery, so Im going by what you tell me. I HOPE when you have spare time you can upload a video on step by step how to make the suspiro. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hola Mari, gracias gracias por esta receta el suspiro me encanta y sabe delicioso. El unico problema es que cuando hago el biscocho la manana siguiente se me desrite (melts). Please any tips porque sale perfecto cualndo lo hago. A mi me gustaria hacer este biscocho cada otro dia porque se me va rapido. Tambien un poco nerviosa que las clara de huevo no se cocinan bien. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sasha- El Suspiro no debe derretirse. Si esto esta pasando puede ser lo siguiente:

    -Usaste mas agua de lo que indica la receta.
    -El almíbar quedo muy flojo, debes dejarlo hervir un poco mas.
    -Debes echarle 1/4 taza de azúcar granulada en forma de llovizna a las claras batiendo antes de echarle el almíbar. Desde que tome cuerpo (como espuma suave) le echas el almíbar y dejar batir hasta que se enfrié y tome brillo.
    -Usar siempre los huevos frescos.

    Espero que esto de ayude. Recomiendo que leas los comentarios de esta entrada y las de suspiro en español porque ahí se encuentra mucha información. También en esta lista de comentarios busca septiembre 7 2010, yo puse un link en azul, ahí también encontraras mas info, ya sea en la entrada como en los comentarios.

    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Mari,

    This is awesome. I've been looking for a suspiro recipe for months now. I'm gonna try it tomorrow. However, my question was ..... after I make the suspiro recipe, can I pipe it and bake it to make Dominican mereguitos? And if so, how long do I bake it for and at what temperature?

    Thanks,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Magdielys - I do not recommend this recipe for merenguitos. What you do want is for it to dry completely and quickly, so the ideal recipe is:Suspiritos. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. the cakes are beautiful and the recipe and instructions are real easy but I need the measurements for half of a pound. I divided them by half but it didn't work. what Are the measurements for half a pound?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Isacc - The measurements for suspiro to cover a half pound cake you'll find in the blue link (Preguntas y Respuestas)I shared in the Sept. 7th comment. See above.

    ReplyDelete
  31. hello and thank you so much for your whole entire page..i made the suspiro and it was perfect except it became very very hard the next day...how do i fix it?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Judith - There could be many things that would cause this:

    - If the cake is left uncovered until the next day, it may have a little crusting. Usually I cover with a box or place it in a plastic container.

    - You probably over cooked the sugar syrup, if it was left to thicken more then what the recipe calls for, it causes the suspiro to get hard.

    - You might have used more sugar then what is called for. Remember to measure accurately.

    I hope this helps solve this and may the next one come out better :)

    Have a great day,

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello Mari,

    So I want to make the Suspiro and when I pour the syrup it gets lots of volume but as it continues to mix and cool the volume just disappears. When it finally cools I don't have enough to decorate the cake. Why does this happen?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  34. Liabeth - it's normal for it to loose volume. The recipe with one cup egg whites, 1/2 cup water and 2 cups of sugar should cover a one pound cake. Approx: 11 inches round or square, 2-3 inches high. Make sure the eggs you are using are fresh and at room temperature.

    Have a great weekend :)
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks Mari for your tips!

    Have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hola Mari,
    Finally, I baked the famous Dominican cake. The cake came out wonderfully delicious. I also made the suspiro, but here is the problem. It wasn't stiff enough. When I tried to pipe the frosting, it melted into itself therefore not holding the piping consistency. I followed the recipe to the letter. Any ideas why?
    Thank you, Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  37. Jackie- I am glad you finally did it! About the suspiro it always happen when you first try making it.

    -could be that you didn't let the syrup boil long enough. It should be 240-245F.
    -Egg have to be at room temperature and fresh.
    - No egg yolk trace should be left in the egg whites.


    Did you try doing it with a pinch of cream of tartar? That helps incorporate air and body to the meringue.

    Anything else I could help you with leave a comment or email me.
    Have a great afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Mari,

    I tried your suspiro recipe and everything was going great until.... It cooled down and i started to pipe it onto the cake. Como que se corto el suspiro. It started off really smooth and shiny but it quickley started to fall apart. It also has a weird odor. Im not sure if I didnt cook the syrup long enough or what I did. Can you please help me?!?!?!?!

    Thank you,
    Eve

    ReplyDelete
  39. Eve - make sure the eggs are as fresh as possible and at room temperature. It could be that you didn't boiled the syrup long enough. Also make sure you measured exactly 1 cup of egg whites. A teaspoon of lemon or rum will help with the odor, but it shouldn't have a strong weird smell. Next time be careful not to get any of the yolks inside.

    Have a great weekend,

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Mari,

    Thank you for all your help last time. I have made this suspiro recipe about 10 times but it doesn't always come out perfect. I am using a 5qt. kitchen aid mixer and it takes the suspiro 1 hour sometimes even more to cool to room temperature. Does one hour or more sound right to you? Am I waiting for the suspiro to cool to room temperature or after 1 hour can i stop mixing it? Thank You so much for answering all my questions.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Eve's Sweet Touch - You are beating for to long. After syrup is added you should only beat for about 20 - 30 minutes for the 7-8 egg whites recipe.

    -Beat only until bowl feels cool and the meringue has the consistency and shine you are looking for.

    -When pouring hot syrup, do not let the hot pan touch the bowl, this will cause the bowl to over heat.

    Have a great evening,
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  42. AnonymousJuly 14, 2011

    Hello Mari,
    I am going to use your recipe to make cupcakes for my childrens birthday this month.
    We are celebrating it at a farm and will not have access to a fridge.
    Knowing this, what frosting would you recommend for me to use? Can I use the suspiro?
    Do I have to make the cupcakes (50) the night before?
    Do I leave it out all night once it is baked and decorated?
    Thanks for your help.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  43. Bonnie - I am sure it would a fabulous BDay at the farm :)
    You could bake the cupcakes the day before, and once cooled completely, store in sealed plastic containers. I most definitely recommend the suspiro (Italian meringue)since buttercream will melt in the hot sunny weather all day long. If you can decorated the morning of, if not you could do it the night before and store in a seal box or plastic container. Tip: For the suspiro use fresh eggs, and with the vanilla add 1 teaspoon of rum, this will give it a better taste and will avoid the egg smell.

    Have a great one :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Mari,
    I am starting out in the cake making and decorating I've been mostly working with fondant. I am beginning to work with different frosting and the suspiro is my favorite I have been trying to master it but here is my dilema I follow the recipe word by word and if I leave white it comes out beautifully and a lot of my clients love it, but when I add color at the end when its cooled down it melts and I've tried to add it before it cools down and when I begin to decorate it starts to slide down. Can you please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    Thank you, yessica

    ReplyDelete
  45. Yessica - It could be the type of food coloring you are using. I use food gel coloring by Ateco.

    If you are only making it one color try adding color before it cools down completely.

    Another thing to check is the amount of time you let the syrup cook, it could be you need to let it boil a little longer to make it thicker.

    Try changing these things and let me know if it work out for you.

    Have a nice day :)

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  46. Mari,

    I used your recipe and it turned out wonderful! Only problem is the suspiro did not work out at all! I tried the recipe twice and the meringue still turned out flat and loose any reason why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily - if the meringue turns out flat it could be due to many reasons. The minimum amount of grease in the machine and bowl could damage your meringue read note c. Also I recommend you to read the answers I have given to the other readers. Make sure you follow those advices and you should have no problem. Practice makes perfect, so keep trying.

      Delete
  47. Mari I am baking and frosting a cake on Friday to cover with fondant on Saturday. My question is can I save left over suspiro to pipe grass, clouds and flower stems on Saturday? Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Or would it be better to pipe those things with butter cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess - Suspiro won't hold from one day to the other, especially in the fridge. I recommend you do fresh suspiro (meringue) or use buttercream.

      Delete
  49. Hi mari! I have tried to make the suspiro several times and only like 3 times it came out perfect! other than that it is always watery and flat! i was wondering if making i am over beating? and also if there is a time frame as to when it should be beaten?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karina the answers are in step #4 and in notes read section c). Another thing is that the syrup might be to thin, make sure you follow step #3.

      Have a great evening :)

      Delete
  50. Hello!
    May God always bless you! I have made the Suspiro several times, the texture and taste are perfect. But after a few hours it smells like eggs! What could I be doing wrong?

    Have a nice day

    Mariana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Mariana, when your meringue (suspiro) has an "egg smell" there are a few things that would cause this:

      ~ the eggs were not as fresh as the should be to make suspiro. Check out this technique to find out if eggs are fresh: Meringue Smells Funny.

      ~ when separating the egg whites from the yolks, some of residue of the yolk were left behind.

      ~ Using fresh eggs, making this recipe with hot syrup, and using a good vanilla should help you with this situation. You may also try a trick bakers in Dom Rep use, we add a 1-2 teaspoons of rum at the end with the vanilla.

      Hope this helps. Have a wonderful and blessed day!

      Delete
  51. Hello again Mary. I have a question. Is Wednesday night too early to bake a cake I am turning in on Saturday by noon? I am decorating it and covering it with fondant. It's a very intricate cake and I only have Thursday all day to fill it and decorate it. Also what's the most amount of lbs I can make in my 4.5 qt kitchen aid? And my last question how long can the batter sit out before placing in oven if I have to make more batter to fill the pan? Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess28, I have replied to you here: Dominican Cake.

      Delete
    2. Hola, yo hise el Frosty Dominicano, pero se siente como con granitos eso es normal? y si no lo es como lo puedo arreglar. Gracias Dianna

      Delete
    3. Dianna, no se como puede tener granitos, ya que el almíbar al hervir derrite todo el azúcar. Usaste esta receta u otra?

      Delete
  52. Great recipes. I made the Suspiro today and it's the best by far, thank you. Everything came out great, color, consistency, smell. I did the decor but when I went back a couple of hours later cause the cake is for tomorrow morning its not soft it has a little shell. It's big so I couldn't cover it. I'm hoping the Client doesn't mind. Is their anything I can do now or what can I do for next time? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Covering the cake helps. Maybe the syrup was left to thicken too much, but if texture was ok, I wouldn't mind. For next time boil the syrup a minute or two less.

      Have a wonderful weekend,
      Mari

      Delete
  53. Hi, Mari. Bendiciones desde Georgia. Trate esta receta ayer y me quedo super perfecto. I think the trick is to have the candy thermometer and know for sure that the temperature is at 245. My temperature actually got up to 250 before I removed it from the heat. I haven't been making my dominican cake becauseI lost practice and I haven't had an occasion. I can't wait to have an occasion and make the frosting too, though. Pregunta: when I was growing up the frosting on the dominican cake was always just a little "crispy." I can't say it was crunchy, but the texture wasn't soft and pillowy. What do you think made that frosting different? Do you think they used powdered sugar or something? Or do you think they just put it out to dry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. Chi chi, the average temperature to be used for the syrup is from 235 - 245ºF, but if you got it at 250ºF, great. Yes, powdered sugar was used before for making this type of frosting, they're many variations to this recipe, sometimes it's prepare without the hot syrup, and egg whites are beaten with sugar and voilà. I don't recommend this because there is higher risk of getting contaminated with salmonella.

      I hope you do get a chance to practice on the cake.

      Happy baking adventures,
      Mari

      Delete
    2. Mari, I got my hands on Dominican vanilla and I have made the cake three times in a week! Que rico. Todavia estoy deseando el frosting d mi ninez. Ya me dijo mi mama que no se recuerda que hacia pero si sabe que le hechaba algo blanco.. . . . Imaginate. Unos de estos dias ya conocere a alguien con el secreto! Mientras tanto usare tu receta para toda ocasion :) El Senor te bendice.

      Delete
  54. Hola Mari,

    Mi hijo cumpleanos manana y voy a tratar tu receta de el bizcocho dominicano. Espero que me quede bien!! Soy esposa militar y me encanta hacer bizcocho y me gustaria hacer bizcocho para vender y empezar mi propio negoico de bizcochos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anónimo - espero que te haya quedado bien. Si tienes foto puede subirla a nuestra pagina en facebook. Un saludo

      Delete
  55. Hola Mari,
    Gracias por la receta, el suspiro quedo buenisimo. Solo tengo una pregunta: Como evito de que el suspiro penetre en el bizcocho? Sera que puedo polverear el bizcocho con icing sugar antes de poner el suspiro?
    Gracias

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evelin, no entiendo que quieres decir con que el suspiro penetra el bizcocho? Si le pones azúcar el polvo no creo que se pegara del bizcocho bien.

      Un saludo,
      Mari

      Delete
    2. Mis excusas, este comentario no lo vi hasta ahora.

      Delete
  56. I tried a meringue frosting that fell flat the next morning. Your recipe looks promising and the notes definitely helped me to understand where I might have gone wrong in my first attempt. I am still curious though, how long can the frosting last. Can it go a few days without falling flat and how can I best store it?

    I also wanted to know how much frosting this makes. My original recipe used 1 c sugar, 1/3 water, 2 egg whites, 1/4 tsp cream of tartar and I had a bit left over after frosting a two layer (about) 9 in cake. How many cakes can this frost?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Antonia, I just got to see this message, I know it has been a long while, but I will still answer for future reference. This recipes covers two 7 " two layers cake. Meringue frostings should be prepared at the moment you are ready to use for frosting a cake. You cannot prepare it in advance a save it to use later that day or the next day.

      I hope this helps you.

      Mari

      Delete
    2. HI Antonia, I just got to see this message, I know it has been a long while, but I will still answer for future reference. This recipes covers two 7 " two layers cake. Meringue frostings should be prepared at the moment you are ready to use for frosting a cake. You cannot prepare it in advance a save it to use later that day or the next day.

      I hope this helps you.

      Mari

      Delete
  57. Hello and thank you for a recipe.
    How is my decorated cake with this cream should be stored (refrigerator?) Our room temp, around 30c degrees.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elinor, you should keep it at room temperature under, under a dome or box. Italian meringue should not be refrigerated.

      Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  58. Hi Mari god bless your hands, I have a quick question on the suspiro dominicano and it is that when i finished doing the frosting i followed word by word but it just doesn't hold its consistency, do i need to add more cream of tartar because originally i add like one teaspoon or two, but it doesn't hold it shape.. HELP ME!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christian, from you tell me your are most likely leaving the syrup to thin. First verify measurements of the ingredients, make sure it is exactly as the recipe above calls for. Let the sugar and water mixture boil a little longer. When beating meringue let it beat until you get a creamy and shiny texture. 30-45 minutes depending type of machine and size of it.

      Thanks for visiting Mari's Cakes,

      Mari

      Delete
  59. Hi Mari god bless your hands,
    I have a question about el suspiro dominicano and it is that when i do the frosting it comes out nice, good odor, and nice consistency but when it comes time to frost the cake el suspiro como que se me agua un chin no se lo que hacer.. HELP ME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Hi Mari. I made the mistake of making the suspiro while my cake is still hot. Will it stay good until im ready to frost?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie I do not know how many of these comments were published and I did not receive notification. It is too late now, but I will respond in case someone else faces the same issue. If you keep it at room temperature it will be OK. You just need to beat softly with a spatula to get to soft and uniform consistency. I do warn you that sometimes it will turn out a little flat when left aside to use later on, it might not be good for borders.

      Thanks for stopping by.
      Mari

      Delete
  61. Mamma mia che bellezza!!!!!! Complimenti Mari!!! Bravissima!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  62. Hi Mari,

    What is the shelf life for the suspiro?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Italian meringue needs to be prepared at the moment you are ready to use it. You cannot prepare it ahead of time and save for later use. It is a fresh made frosting all the time! Once it is on the cake or cupcake it could last 3-4 days if well done.

      Thank you for visiting Mari's Cakes :)

      Mari

      Delete
  63. Hi Mari,

    What is the shelf life for the suspiroro?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine, suspiro (Italian meringue without butter) should be prepared and used immediately. After the cake is decorated it could be kept at room temperature up to three days, more day probably, but three days is for great taste. Thank you for asking.

      Mari

      Delete
  64. Hi Mari,

    I will be attempting to make my first Dominican Cake for Easter. I will be using a 12 inch round cake pan. Do you think your recipe above is enough to frost a two layer 12 inch cake? If not can I get the measurements to make enough for a 12 inch cake? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ic2133, this recipe is for a one pound cake and is enough with a very simple border, but because you tell me it is your first time I recommend you to do 1.5 recipe. Multiply all the ingredients by 1.5 , eg: instead of 2 cups sugar, use 3 cups.

      Have fun baking!

      Mari

      Delete

You are welcome to leave a comment. Thank you for visiting Maris Cakes.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...