The following recipe is from the book "El Arte de Vivir" (The Art of Living) by the Dominican author, Rosalia Gomez de Caro. While researching the book year ago online I saw this cake. Since then I've been craving it, until at last I remembered, found the fruit and had time to make the recipe. I liked the cake very much and I'm sure it will be a dessert that I will do from now on every soursop season.
Soursop Cake, Bizcocho de Guanábana
Sponge Cake (size 7”x 7”): 4 eggs separate
1 cup sugar (200 g)
2 Teaspoons vanilla (10 ml)
1 ½ cup all purpose flour (195 g)
pinch of salt
½ cup milk (118 ml)
½ cup butter (1 stick)
1 teaspoon grated lemon
1½ teaspoon baking powder
Syrup (to moisten the cake):
½ cup sugar (100 g)
½ cup liquid (juice) of soursop (118 ml)
½ cup water (118 ml)
Soursop Pastry Cream (yields more than enough):
2 cups milk divided (475 ml)
¼ cup cornstarch
2 egg yolks
¾ cup sugar (150 gr)
1½ cup pulp of soursop
For instructions: HERE
1 cup egg whites (8-ounce exactly)
2 cups granulated sugar (400 gr)
½ cup water (110 gr)
1 teaspoon vanilla (5 ml)
For instructions: HERE
1. Prepare the soursop pastry cream preferably the day before. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease two cake pans of 7 "(18 cm) or one 4-inch (10 cm) tall and line with wax paper at the base.
2. Heat the milk with the butter just until melted and add the lemon zest, reserve. Beat the egg whites at maximum speed until soft peaks is reached. Add the egg yolks one by one, then gradually add the sugar and vanilla.
3. Mix flour and salt; sift. Add the flour mixture to eggs slowly, on stir speed of a kitchenAid speed or fold with a spatula. Add the warm milk and finally the baking powder.
4. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool and coat with syrup using a brush.
Look how soft it came out. It's definitely a cake recipe to bake.
1. In a small pot mix the sugar, juice of the soursop and water. Let it boil until all the sugar dissolves and is slightly thickened (8 minutes). Note: After cooled the syrup tends to thicken, so be sure not to cook for longer then required, to be able to coated cake layers easily. When you are ready to decorate prepare the Italian meringue.
Serves 10-12 people
I used tip #826 Ateco for stripes.
More step by step photos and tips , also en español: AQUÍ.
Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. And He shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday. - Psalms 37:5-6