Receta en español
One of the most requested recipes via email is the Dominican cornmeal arepa. Translated it is cornmeal cake, but I say it is better described as a cornmeal pudding. My inspiration to learn how to prepare this recipe were the arepa stands on the road to Jarabacoa. In 2002, after buying these arepas several times, I knew I could bake a better tasting one at home.
This is a very common and vintage recipe. If I'm not mistaken, a similar basic recipe could be found in the back of some cornmeal package bags. I hope that you can easily make this arepa de maíz dominicana, and share your results with me.
Arepa de Maíz Dulce, Cornmeal Pudding
3 cups = 1 bag of yellow cornmeal 14 oz (400 g)
3 cups water (710 ml)
½ teaspoon vanilla
3 cups whole milk (710 ml)
2 cups coconut milk (470 ml)
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
3 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup raisin (optional)
1. In a saucepan mix the cornmeal with the water and vanilla and let soak for 30 minutes.
2. After soaking time is up, add the remaining ingredients and bring to medium heat.
3. Stir constantly until thickened, then simmer for 10 - 12 minutes, stirring constantly. You'll get a thick mixture like polenta or very thick farina .
4. Pour into greased a baking pan or 10 "(25 cm) caldero and let stand 5 minutes before baking.
5. Bake at 375˚F (190˚C) until it has become a dark golden brown. It may take 1-2 hours in the oven. The time varies depending on the size of the pan you used. Out of the oven it should be nice and golden brown, it also will be custardly soft in the center kind of like a jello, but when cooled it will compact and slightly hardened. Serve when warm or cold.
Yield: Serves 15 to 20.
Time: 40 minutes of soaking and preparation + 1 - 2 hours in the oven.
Esta receta en español: AQUÍ.
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." ~ Colossians 3:23-24