Mandarin Orange Cake, Bizcocho de Mandarina


I begin this year with what I like best to bake, a CAKE! I make this mandarin orange cake recipe often in mandarin season. It has a soft buttery texture with a citrus and nutty taste. If you look at many of my previous cake recipes many have nuts, and that is because "I am a nut for nuts" in cakes. I believe they give cakes a special taste and great texture. I hope you like and enjoy this simple and delicious cake recipe. If you bake it, I would love to here from you how much you liked it.

This is how our farm mandarin trees are looking right now. We have had a great harvest this year, thanks to God.
Dominican Mandarins, Our farm 2012


This recipe yields one 7" cake, on this occasion I doubled the recipe to make two cakes.






Mandarin Orange Cake
Wonderful citrus cake with almonds and a freshly squeeze mandarin juice syrup.
Ingredients:
  • 3 mandarins
  • ¾ cup unsalted butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 cup superfine sugar (I used powdered sugar)
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1½ cup all purpose flour
  • 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup ground almonds  Mandarin GLAZE Topping:
  • ½ cups freshly squeeze mandarin juice
  • 6-8 Tablespoons granulated sugar
  • powdered sugar to sprinkle on top

Instructions:
1. Grease a 7" inch round pan and line the base with wax paper or parchment paper. 2. Pare the rind from one mandarin and chop the rind finely. In a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and mandarin rind until pale fluffy. Gradually add the beaten eggs to the mixture, beating well after each addiction. 3. Gently fold in mixture of flour, baking powder and salt followed by the ground almonds. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake in a preheated oven, 350ºF, for about 30-45 minutes or until a fine the center comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly. 4. Meanwhile, make the glaze. Put the mandarin juice into a small saucepan with the sugar . Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Drizzle the warm (not hot) glaze over the cake until it has been absorbed, when cooled completely sprinkle with powdered sugar. Notes:
a) If you prefer, in step #2, chop the mandarin rind in a food processor with ¼ cup extra of powdered sugar .

b) I used my thumb and index finger to sprinkle the sugar on top instead of a sieve to get the appearance of chunks of sugar and preventing all the sugar from melting into the wet glaze.
Yield: Serve 8-10, one 7" cake

En español: AQUÍ 


For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”- Romans 1:17
Thank you for reading and commenting,

24 Friends Have Comment:

  1. I'm in love with mandarins!! I will try this cake for sure, I can immagine the wanderfull flavour :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks so incredibly moist and delicious Mari! I can almost taste it through the screen. I'm bookmarking this one for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I hope you could try it soon :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Un gâteau bien parfumé. J'adore les gâteaux aux agrumes.
    A très bientôt

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just perked me up! Your blog and citrus cakes will do that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm trying hard not to eat dessert tonight, but now I'm wanting your cake!!! The texture looks incredible...so moist and wonderful! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughters are huge mandarin fans!! Bet they would looove this cake!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure they will, many of my recipe followers have done this cake ALREADY, and it is all positive results! Have a great Friday :)

      Delete
  7. avec ces agrumes ce gâteau ne peut être que délicieux
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so lucky to have your own mandarin tree! This orange cake looks sensational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is a yummy cake! Have a Happy Friday :)

      Delete
  9. That cake looks heavenly! Those are wonderful flavors, mmmhhh.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Mari-I just love this light and simple mandarin cake. Love the recipe and I'm printing it out right now! This is the kind of cake I can allow myself to have a piece on my WW diet!
    Your mandarin trees are healthy and beautiful! Thank God, is right:DDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this new reply option! Thanks Elisabeth, I am sure a piece is nothing it is a very delicious cake don't miss out on it :) Hugs

      Delete
  11. que jugoso que se ve ,tubo que estar divino ,un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know I'll enjoy this cake as orange cake is one of my favorites. The addition of almonds make it extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this recipe mari, in this time I dont have mandarinas but think with orange wouldbe awesome!!! nice! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh, beautiful cakes. I love this recipe. Mandarine oranges are in season now here. I must make this. thanks for posting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, que rico! Your cake looks so good. I am going to have to make this soon! Thank you for your lovely comment!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just stumbled on to this recipe and it looks fabulous! I was wondering if I could skip the nuts and, if I do, do I need to add in anything to make up for the omission?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just stumbled on to this recipe and it looks fabulous! I was wondering if I could skip the nuts and, if I do, is there any thing I need to add to make up for the omission?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shona- You can omit it and leave as is, if you feel it is to watery add an additional 3 Tablespoons of flour.

      Delete
  18. Thanks for the beautiful looking cake - but i have one question. Ur recipe asks for 3 mandarins, but in the method u use only the rind of one mandarin. What do i do with the rest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Usha, Thank you for your compliment. For this recipe you only use the rind of one mandarin, to mix in with the cake batter, and the juice of the three mandarins = 1/2 cup to use for the glaze. You could discard the other rinds.

      Have a nice day :)

      Delete

You are welcome to leave a comment. Thank you for visiting Maris Cakes.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...