Liver with Onions, Higado Encebollado


Today's dish is,.... Liver with Onions. On the contrary to what one might think, it is great tasting and very simple to prepare. I advice you to ask the butcher to remove the outer skin of the liver and to cut it into very thin slices. This will make it easier to cook. You can serve it with white rice, tostones or yuca.

En español: AQUÍ 



Take a look at my step by step photo video with "Bachata en Fukuoka", I hope you like it.


Liver with Onions 
Delicious and healthy option for a quick dinner with a creole taste.
 
Ingredients: 
2 lbs beef liver
1 cup milk
3 teaspoons crushed garlic
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1½ teaspoon ground oregano
2 large onions, cut into rings or halved
½ cup vinager or sour orange juice salt and pepper
¼ cup soybean or corn oil

Instructions: 
1. Leave the liver in milk for at least 30 minutes or overnight. The milk helps to tenderize meat.
2. Drain and season with crushed garlic, soy sauce and ground oregano. Let stand 30 minutes or more.
3. Meanwhile cut onions, season with some salt and vinegar or sour orange juice is better. Set aside.
4. In a hot skillet, sauté liver for about 2 minutes per side or until it's no longer pink, add the onions with vinegar or any orange juice, cover, and cook until onions soften a bit (2 mins.) or to taste. Total time: depends on the amount of time you let the liver macerate and with seasoning. Cooking time is only 5 minutes.

Yield: Serves 6.


En español: AQUÍ 


Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.- Psalm 119:105

13 Friends Have Comment:

  1. I love liver with onions!! Its the best!! I think I'll make that for dinner tonight! Thanks Mari for the suggestion. LOL.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my mother's all time favorite meals. She'd make it for us regularly growing up. Your version looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonjour Lary
    Liver with rice and plantains...MMMMHHH!
    Thank you
    Frieda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liver and onions is one of my favourites. I've never seen it prepared like this - it looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel - it is very tasty I am sure you will like it.

    Have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love liver and that combination! A great dish. So tasty.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mari,

    What a wonderful liver dish! I love it. I have cooked chicken liver before but in a slightly different way. Thanks for sharing.

    ----------------------------
    Regards
    Spoon and Chopsticks
    http://spoon-and-chopsticks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although, not a real fan of liver, except in exquisitely made paté...the only other way I can appreciate it is with a bit of butter, lots of caramelized onions and a splash of Port wine.

    What I'm certainly going to take away from your post is the tip to use milk to tenderize the liver...had not thought of that ;o)

    Thanks Mari.
    Have a great week.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love love liver and onions!!! i grew up on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. While I never have been a fan of liver, I remember a cook making a delicious liver and onion dish at a restaurant where I worked. I lapped it up! It had many enticing flavors as this does! The plantains are an added bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Most people may not like liver, but I love it...especially with onions.
    I use the same method as you do, by soaking them in milk. Now, I am so wanting to make this for the weekend!
    Thanks for sharing, Mari!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elisabeth- great! I am glad we prepare it the same way. I love the liver prepared with onions, it is so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The addition of vinegar cuts the strong smell/taste of liver that some people do not like. I suggest it be red wine vinegar. Add some dried dill weed and plain yogurt or sour cream to the onions and the pan juices. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to leave a comment. Thank you for visiting Maris Cakes.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...