Fried Green Plantains, TOSTONES


TOSTONES are FRIED GREEN PLANTAINS, the preferred side dish in many Latin American kitchens. This is how I most like to eat the plantains. They can be served at breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is a very popular fritter served with the "comida" at noon and for dinner. Strange enough it is also sold for breakfast with fried salami or even fried chicken in the popular business called "cafeterias". I know, you may be wondering fried chicken and plantains for breakfast?  Yes, some Dominicans love this, but only if there is no mangú - mashed boiled green plantains. About MANGU I will write another day. I believe a separate post would be more appropriate since it is one of the dishes that represents Dominicans, just like the MOFONGO  is to Puerto Ricans. These recipes are cooked and very much loved in BOTH countries.

En Español: AQUÍ


Although it is simple to make, I must confess that when I got married I did not know how to cook tosotones. If you don't know the correct steps your results can be a total failure. They can come out very hard, too greasy or even raw. All mentioned, happened to me, therefore if my advice helps you achieve great, crispy and well done fried plantain, then I'll be very happy and could go BAKE in peace.

To my sweet little ones at home and the apprentices who follow this blog, you will no longer have excuses of not knowing how to make these. The steps are VERY EASY, the most difficult part is to peel the plantain, but I still guarantee you could make these... it is a piece of cake, TRUST ME!!



Many people add water with garlic, but I don't because I find this makes them soggy. At home we like them to be a little crispy not oily. My daughters love them with ketchup and I am almost sure that in many of your homes is the same.

Tostones, Fried Greens Plantains or Patacones
The preferred side dish in many Latin American kitchens.

Ingredients:
4-6 plantains
enough oil for deep frying
salt

Instructions:  
1. Peel and cut bananas in one inch slices, they can be diagonal or straight.

2. First Fry: fry the pieces in a frying pan with enough to cover the one inch chunks, about 1½ -2 inches deep and the oil must be hot (350˚F), if not the tostones would come out greasy. Fry until they start to get a golden color. Drain in mesh basket or paper towel.

3. After a minute or two, not more, smash (flatten) with a tostonera, if you don’t have one at hand, a wide cup or plate will do, but I do recommend you to get a plantain press (tostonera).

4. Second Fry: (to do at the time of serving because as they cool they will harden) return flatten plantains to HOT oil until it reaches golden color and is fully cooked, remove from oil and drain. Sprinkle with salt and serve immediately. To enhance the taste, you can use garlic salt instead of regular salt or sprinkle with garlic powder and salt.

Yield: 4-6 servings.

Speaking of patacones, here is an old time video of, Johnny Ventura, one of the best merengue artist,  Enjoy!

I take this opportunity to give you a peek of our banana plantation, this is what surrounds my entire house. The yellow- greenish trunks trees are the bananas (the ones we eat raw as dessert) and the ones with reddish trunks are the plantains (the cooking ones).





 photo tostonerayexprimidorlemonpressandplantainpress_zps08520f4e.jpg


If you are interested in purchasing one of these aluminum tostoneras go HERE.

Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name given under heaven by which we must be saved. - Acts 4:12
Text and Photos © Mari's Cakes 

12 Friends Have Comment:

  1. These are wonderful. I wanna have some right now, very tempting. Thanks for sharing this.

    ----------------------------
    Regards
    Spoon and Chopsticks
    http://spoon-and-chopsticks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So simple, yet crispy and wonderful! I'd love to taste your tostones as I know they are perfectly made! Happy Sunday~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonjour Mary
    We call it "plantain tapé" and I'm suprised to discover something to press it. It's "pratique!"
    I love it with fried fish or chicken
    Have a nice sunday
    Frieda

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Mari, plantain is my favorite food. I love it! I love the different ways to prepare it. I love yellow and green plantains. I like tostones but I LOVE mangú. I like mofongu, a lot, too. I haven't eaten mofongu in a long time...

    You have plantain trees in you backyard!? That does it! I'm moving to DR to a certain someone's house. LOL!

    Oh and I love Johnny Ventura! I have this song on my iPod. I did not know patacones is fried green plantains. This is a fun video to watch and listen to. Made me want to dance along.

    The post about plantain made me happy. Thank you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although banana is a favourite fruit of mine...I unfortunately have yet to try plantain. That 'Tostenero' tool seems quite interesting. I could only imagine its uses ;o)

    Thanks for sharing a piece of your beautiful backyard and your specialty.

    Ciao for now and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spoon and Chopsticks, Lizzy, Freida, and Foodessa, thank you for stopping by.

    Have a wonderful week.


    Paz - Thank you too! Your welcome to visit :) I am glad you like the recipe and video.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your fried plantains look so crispy and good! Yes, I am sure they will be good with fish and ketchup :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bet my guys would love fried plantains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scrumptious! I love the way they are smashed.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  10. We LOVE plantains...but I always smashed them with the bottom of a small plate! LoL! I will be buying that press :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tostones are from Puerto Rico, not from Dominican Republic and, are for dinner, not for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, tostones are a popular side dish in many Latin American countries. Many Latins love tostones, and have them present in their national dish! I do not know about Puerto Rico, but I have seen it sold for years at local restaurants or "cafeterias" for breakfast with salami.

      Thanks for visiting Mari's Cakes,
      Mari

      Delete

You are welcome to leave a comment. Thank you for visiting Maris Cakes.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...