Lemons are definitely for lemon tarts... well I had mentioned before they were perfect for lemon curd, but they are also ideal for this tart. This is my favorite irresistible lemon tart recipe. I love the combination of the pie pastry crust with the slightly tangy creamy lemon filling with no butter. If you are looking for a perfect dessert to surprise your kids after school, this is the one... look no further.
In Dominican Republic we have Persian lime all year round; these are what we use for recipes that
call for lemons. If you are lucky enough to live in a place where you can find yellow lemons then this recipe would be perfect because you can prepare it with either limes or lemons.
This is one delicious sweet and tangy tart you will love.
Pretty slice waiting for you in a pretty blue plate.
In a bowl whisk the sugar and lemon rind to perfume the sugar with the citrus scent and flavor. Add the eggs and heavy cream and mix in a blender.
When preparing the dough, roll out with an extra inch all around from the diameter of the pan. Fold in any extra dough, and with your fingers press the sides to the pan. With the rolling pin roll towards the edge to clean edges.
I just realized this is one of the things I want for Christmas Ceramic Double Pie Weights, I know you probably wonder pie weights for a gift?, but yes I prefer kitchen and cooking gear above any other material thing :)
This is how your tart is going to look when it comes out of the oven.
Crispy crust, creamy filling, sprinkled sugar and sweet lemon peel topping. What more can you ask for :)
Turn on your AC, pick up your feet and enjoy!
Creamy Lemon Tart
Ingredients: (Bottom Crust for an 11” tart pan)
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter or margarine cut into small pieces
2-4 Tablespoons cold water
Follow my easy pie crust instructions for pre baked dough: Here.
¾ cup superfine sugar (150 g)
Grated rind of 3 lemons
⅔ Tablespoons lemon juice (160 ml = 3-4 lemons)
⅔ cup heavy cream (160 ml) - I used a non- dairy cream
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
1. To make the Pre-baked Pie Crust: In a food processor or stand mix using paddle attachment mix the flour, sugar, salt and cold butter. Add cold water by tablespoons and use only what is needed until you see the dough is formed into a ball. Wrap with plastic film and chill for 30 minutes. I recommend you to read my step by step post on Easy pie crust.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until you get a 13 inch circle and line the tart or pie pan. Use a fork to prick the pastry and freeze your pastry lined tart pan for 30 minutes.
3. Pre-heat oven to 375˚F. Line the pie shell with foil or wax paper and pie weights or baking beans. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and beans and return into the oven for 10 minutes.
4. To make the lemon filling: In a bowl whisk the sugar and lemon rind to perfume the sugar with the citrus scent and flavor. Add lemon juice, stir and beat in the eggs. Place in the blender and beat on medium while you add the cream slowly. When the cream is combined, place the tart pan with the pre-baked crust in a baking sheet. To prevent spillage only pour half of the cream into pie shell, and then you can add the remaining filling once the tart is inside the oven.
5. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until you see the cream is set. Let it cool, and dust with confectioner’s sugar before serving. Enjoy your first of many more delicious creamy lemon tarts that you’ll be making!
Yield: One 11" tart.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. ~ Romans 8:38-3.