White Cake Recipe


I love the color white to decorate cakes and cookies, but today the cake is white in the inside. I've always liked light tones, especially white, pink and light blue colors. Sometimes I like to pick things out of these tones to vary and to lift my spirit, one example, would be my kitchen tiles. I chose my kitchen tiles a brick color with a back splash in cream. Eight years later, I wonder what I was thinking about at the time. I now dream of re-modeling my kitchen, and guess in what color ... white! On Pinterest I have several inspirations for my future kitchen, your welcome to stop by and pin away.

Moving on to the recipe... This white cake recipe is the one I use when I need it to make bright and exact colored cake without the yellowish hue that butter and egg yolks add to a cake batter. I used this recipe to make the Dominican flag cake. You could use white cake mix, but when all you want is a fluffy, white, creamy vanilla, with a hint of almond, homemade cake... choose the recipe I share below. This is for sure a great recipe to have in your cake collection recipe box. I was also going to decorate the cake with white frosting, but at the end I ended up mixing in  pink color to match with my chocolate roses. Enjoy.






The texture of this cake is fluffy and moist. For the filling I used vanilla buttercream with a little strawberry puree, and the frosting is Italian meringue. You can find both frosting recipes in this blog.


What is your favorite cake recipe? Do you have a favorite white cake recipe?


White Cake 
Moist fluffy white cake recipe very easy to make.


Ingredients:
½ cup shortening or ¼ cup unsalted butter (see notes)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon clear vanilla
2 teaspoon almond extract (or more)
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour minus 1 Tablespoon
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon of cornstarch
Pinch of salt
½ cup + 2 Tablespoons milk (135 ml)
4 egg whites

Instructions: 
1. Measure all ingredients accurately. Lightly grease pans and line bottom with parchment paper. Pre heat oven to 350˚F (175˚C).
2. With the attachment paddle beat the shorting and sugar until light and fluffy, about  3 minutes.
3. Add the extracts and beat for a minute. Add the flour mixture alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with flour. Stir until just combined.
4. In another bowl beat the egg whites until foamy and fold into the flour and shortening mixture in two parts.
5. Divide the batter into pans. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Cool on wire racks until slightly cooled, flip cake to serving plate. Cool completely before frosting.

Yield: Two layer 9” (23 cm) cake.

Notes: Regarding the butter measurment. If and when I use butter for this recipe, I only use 1/4 cup of butter because I find the butter of where I live make the cakes come out too greasy.  If that is not your case used 1/2 cup of butter instead. I prefer to use shortening to make this cake.



Receta en español:Bizcocho Blanco.

"Therefore, if any man is in Christ, he is a new creation. Old things have passed away; look, new things have come!"  ~ 2 Corinthians 5:17.

16 Friends Have Comment:

  1. This is such an elegant and beautiful cake Mari!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks beautiful, but mine came out so dry 1st threw it out started all over exact measurements and it still came out dry...could it have been flour I used the gold medal flour which i use in my other recipes! all was room temp...what did I do wrong? Plz advise! Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L Rubie, Thank you for trying out the recipe for white cake. I use all purpose flour. The brand I use is more like Pillsbury's. If it came out dry it could be the following:

      -your oven temperature was too high. Try baking it at 325F or for less time then what the recipe calls for.
      - the shortening or butter needed to be cream a little longer. Since the amount is not much for a stand mixture bowl, it could be hard to cream, try adding 1 teaspoon of the milk after the butter has beaten for two minutes.
      -remember to sift the flour before measuring,then remove the one Tablespoon and add the cornstarch. Also it is 1 Tablespoon of baking powder and not a teaspoon.

      I hope this works for you.

      Delete
  3. Since I had previously follwed the recipes directions of baking at 350F I tried everything else as noted in ur reply...I do use oven temp inside to make sure its exact....came out bit better than before...now for my next cake class lets see if girls agree...better then 1st try...Thank You for ur Quick Response,,,que Dios siempre la Bendiga en todo...Gracias de nuevo :) Am more pleased at outcome...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I glad it much better. Thank you for reporting it to me. God bless you too. Have an awesome week :)

      Delete
  4. Can u cover this cake in fondant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yahaira, yes you can cover this cake with fondant. :)

      Delete
  5. Could you use a little of both shortening and butter? If so how much would you do of each? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Kayla, Yes you can use both if you prefer. I have used a 1/4 cup of each, butter and Crisco.

      Delete
    2. Sounds great! Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Lovely cake. You're very talented. Do you usually use only shortening, only butter, or as you mentioned above 1/4 cup each? Which do you usually use? have you ever used only butter or only shortening and if so, which usually gives the best results in texture and moistness of the cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous - I use only shortening when baking this cake because when I do bake it is because I want a white cake for X reason. To me with shortening only has given me great results.

      Thank you for asking,
      Mari

      Delete
  7. Hi,
    I'm commenting because even though your cake looks perfect, I didn't get the same results. My cake was thick in terms of the texture. When I was eating it I was almost choking. I followed your steps to the letter. What am i doing wrong? I wanted it to come out looking like yours. Yours look like a professional cake. The texture looks soft and as though it melts in your mouth. Also i noticed when I added the flour mixture alternating with milk, the batter in the bowl became very thick. Can you please provide me with some insight. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, The batter being thick is not of matter each batter has it own consistency and the thickness does not affect the end result, unless it was due to an error in the measurements of the ingredients. What I suggest:
      -Verify measurements (e.g. 1/2 cup of crisco shortening, 2 cups of sifted flour etc.)
      - Oven temperature, might have been to high, different pans cook differently. Maybe adjusting the temp to 5 or 10 degrees less will help not to over cook. Also verify the minutes left in the oven, it could be you left it there to long.
      - Flour should be sifted before measuring it .
      - Last but not least, beating the shortening (or butter) with sugar to the right spongy creamy consistency is important. It should not look grainy but instead creamy.

      I hope this helps you achieve a better cake texture next time.

      Best regards,
      Mari's Cakes

      Delete
  8. Your recipe says 1/2 cup shortening or 1/4 cup butter. Is this an error? Should not it be 1/2 cup butter. Also, in one of your comments you wrote that you sometimes use 1/4 cup each of the shortening and butter which to me indicates that you meant to write 1/2 cup butter in the list of instructions and not 1/4 cup.
    I made this cake last night using 1/2 cup shortening (but butter flavored) and skipping the almond extract since I am not too fond of it. But I used good vanilla extract and I think it will indeed be fluffy and really good. I have made it for dinner tonight so I can't wait to taste it. I will let you know how mine turned out. I am filling it with apricot jam and covering it with a chocolate glaze. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Regine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown, If it is butter only I use 1/4 but you could use 1/2. My problem is that in addition to not liking butter, I find that the Dominican butter is too greasy and this is the reason I just listed 1/4 cup of butter. I am not sure how it will work out with another type butter. When I do use both, butter and shortening I use a 1/4 cup of each. I hope you do like the cake, the apricot jam and chocolate glaze sound delicious!

      Delete

You are welcome to leave a comment. Thank you for visiting Maris Cakes.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...