White Cake Recipe



I have a fondness for the color white when it comes to adorning cakes and cookies, yet today's cake surprises me with its white interior. Light hues have always held a special place in my heart, particularly white, pink, and light blue. Occasionally, I deviate from these tones to infuse variety and uplift my spirits—like the time I opted for brick-colored kitchen tiles with a cream backsplash. 


Reflecting on that decision eight years later, I find myself pondering what led me to choose such a color scheme. Now, I daydream about renovating my kitchen, and unsurprisingly, the color scheme I lean towards is white! My Pinterest board brims with inspirations for my future kitchen; feel free to visit and pin your favorites.

Shifting gears to the recipe... This white cake recipe is my go-to for creating vividly colored cakes without the yellowish tint that butter and egg yolks often impart. It served as the foundation for my Dominican flag cake. While a white cake mix could suffice, when aiming for a white, light, fluffy, creamy vanilla cake with a subtle hint of almond, nothing beats the homemade recipe I'm about to share. It's a gem for your culinary repertoire. Initially planning to frost the cake in white, I eventually blended in a touch of pink to complement the chocolate roses. Indulge in this delightful creation.








The texture of this cake is fluffy and moist. For the filling, I used vanilla buttercream with a little strawberry puree, and the frosting is Italian meringue. You can find both frosting recipes in this blog.



What is your favorite cake recipe? Do you have a favorite white cake recipe?



White Cake 

This simple recipe for moist, fluffy white cake is incredibly easy to prepare.

½ cup shortening or ¼ cup unsalted butter (see notes)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon clear vanilla
2 teaspoon almond extract (or more)
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour minus 1 Tablespoon
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon of cornstarch
Pinch of salt
½ cup + 2 Tablespoons milk (135 ml)
4 egg whites

Instructions: 
1. Measure all ingredients accurately. Lightly grease pans and line the bottom with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350˚F (175˚C).
2. With the attachment paddle beat the shorting and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the extracts and beat for a minute. Add the flour mixture alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with flour. Stir until just combined.
4. In another bowl beat the egg whites until foamy and fold into the flour and shortening mixture in two parts.
5. Divide the batter into pans. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Cool on wire racks until slightly cooled, flip the cake to a serving plate. Cool completely before frosting.

Yield: Two layer 9” (23 cm) cake.


Notes: 
a) When it comes to the butter measurement, I typically use 1/4 cup in this recipe to avoid the cakes turning out too greasy with the butter available in my area. However, if you do not face the same issue, feel free to use 1/2 cup of butter. Personally, I opt for shortening when making this cake.

b) I recommend using shorting for a whiter color cake. 

c) Vibrant and precise color sponge cake: To achieve an exact and vibrant color without the yellow tone that butter and egg yolks provide, follow this recipe to the letter and add the gel food coloring at the end. If you want to create multiple colors, divide the batter into different containers and add the colors of your choice according to your preference.



"Therefore, if any man is in Christ, he is a new creation. Old things have passed away; look, new things have come!"  ~ 2 Corinthians 5:17.







Recipes and Tips