Moving on to the recipe... This white cake recipe is the one I use when I need it to make bright and exact colored cake without the yellowish hue that butter and egg yolks add to a cake batter. I used this recipe to make the Dominican flag cake. You could use white cake mix, but when all you want is a fluffy, white, creamy vanilla, with a hint of almond, homemade cake... choose the recipe I share below. This is for sure a great recipe to have in your cake collection recipe box. I was also going to decorate the cake with white frosting, but at the end I ended up mixing in pink color to match with my chocolate roses. Enjoy.
The texture of this cake is fluffy and moist. For the filling I used vanilla buttercream with a little strawberry puree, and the frosting is Italian meringue. You can find both frosting recipes in this blog.
What is your favorite cake recipe? Do you have a favorite white cake recipe?
Moist fluffy white cake recipe very easy to make.
½ cup shortening or ¼ cup unsalted butter (see notes)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon clear vanilla
2 teaspoon almond extract (or more)
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour minus 1 Tablespoon
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon of cornstarch
Pinch of salt
½ cup + 2 Tablespoons milk (135 ml)
4 egg whites
1. Measure all ingredients accurately. Lightly grease pans and line bottom with parchment paper. Pre heat oven to 350˚F (175˚C).
2. With the attachment paddle beat the shorting and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the extracts and beat for a minute. Add the flour mixture alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with flour. Stir until just combined.
4. In another bowl beat the egg whites until foamy and fold into the flour and shortening mixture in two parts.
5. Divide the batter into pans. Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Cool on wire racks until slightly cooled, flip cake to serving plate. Cool completely before frosting.
Yield: Two layer 9” (23 cm) cake.
Notes: Regarding the butter measurment. If and when I use butter for this recipe, I only use 1/4 cup of butter because I find the butter of where I live make the cakes come out too greasy. If that is not your case used 1/2 cup of butter instead. I prefer to use shortening to make this cake.
Receta en español:Bizcocho Blanco.
"Therefore, if any man is in Christ, he is a new creation. Old things have passed away; look, new things have come!" ~ 2 Corinthians 5:17.