Cassava Bread, Pan de Yuca


En Español
My aunt makes a delicious cassava (mandioca) bread. I had asked her for the recipe and she gladly sent it to me  with my cousin Ucha. It's been over a year since I had this recipe waiting to be published. Last week I decided to make a couple of coconut desserts with coconuts from our farm, and it was the perfect opportunity to bake this pudding like, cassava bread to photograph and share.

Strangely, when I woke up my baked goody had a big triangle piece missing... Mr. M had served himself a delightful breakfast. This bread has a similar taste to the yuca fritters (arepitas de yuca) with the difference that this is a bit sweeter, has shredded coconut and it's baked. There are many variations of this bread, but this is my Aunt, Elena Paulino's recipe with some adaptations, I added an egg and more sugar.

I can not fail to mention that another loved aunt also made this recipe, Tia Maria Alvarez, who was my father's aunt. I remember when I used to visit her in Santiago, on two occasions she offered me this sweet yuca bread. While making this recipe I was filled with fond memories of her. I hope this recipe will be useful for any of her daughters or granddaughters that may not know how to prepare this bread. I am sure they will enjoy remembering their mother's/grandmother's cooking. God rest her soul.








Cassava Bread, Pan de Yuca


A unique cassava bread with coconut and anise seeds. It is very simple to prepare, especially if you have a husband who helps with the task of grating of the cassava. :) Enjoy this gluten free recipe.

Ingredients: 
4 - 4¾ cups grated cassava / yuca  (4 LBS = 2 kilos)
1 ½ cup grated coconut (1 coconut)
3 Tablespoons sugar (75 g)
1 Tablespoon melted butter (15 ml)
½ teaspoon anise seeds or to taste
¼ teaspoon salt
1 egg 

Instructions: 
1. Peel, grate or process about 3-4 pounds (2 kilos) of cassava. Squeeze with a cloth or colander to remove all the liquid out of it. Grate or process the coconut as well, measure and mix the two ingredients in a bowl, add all the remaining ingredients and stir until combined.
2. Grease a baking pan, I used an 11" (28 cm) tart pan . Pour the mixture into the pan, with the help of a spatula or spoon spread out the batter evenly. Cover with foil and bake at 350˚F (175˚C) for 50 minutes. When the cassava has a crystalline appearance, it is already cooked, remove the foil paper and leave in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden.
3. Serve warm or cold, accompanied by a juice, hot cocoa or coffee. Bon appetit!

Yield:  12 servings.

Notes: It tastes even better the next day.


Esta receta en español aquí: Pan de Yuca.

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13.

9 Friends Have Comment:

  1. Una tarta estupenda, tiene que estar deliciosa.
    Besitos guapa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful looking bread - loving the crumb. Doubly sweet because it comes from family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully made cassava bread Mari! Husband's help is always a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! This is my first time at your blog space. You have a lovely blog.
    I have never tried cassava and I am so tempted by your dish that I think I am going to begin my hunt for it very soon. thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a unique and satisfying bread you've create Mari! I may need to borrow your husband for a little grating of my own. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum. In Trinidad and Tobago we call it cassava pone. My gran gran made the best pone, may she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing the recipe! Simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My father used to do this, but al fogon layed over banana leaves, it was delicious. Im going to try this, I love that it is gluten free, as well. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful & delicious cake...

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to leave a comment. Thank you for visiting Maris Cakes.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...