This is a wonderful moist, tangy lemon flavored cake that is very easy to prepare. It has no sugar and has low-fat content, making it a perfect cake for those who are on a diet or simply would love a... not so sweets desserts. I absolutely love the sesame seeds sprinkled on top and the flavor that it imparts in this dessert. Enjoy! :) Απολαύστε αυτό το νόστιμο κέικ!
Greek Honey and Lemon Cake
3 Tablespoons margarine
7 Tablespoons honey
Grated rind and juice of one lemon (2 Tablespoons)
⅔ cups milk room temperature
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of nutmeg
2 egg whites
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1. Pre-heat oven to 400˚F (200˚C) Lightly grease a 8" ( 20 cm) square pan.
2. Mix margarine a 4 Tablespoons of honey in a sauce pan until melted. Mix in milk; Reserve 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and add the remaining juice to the mixture.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and nutmeg together, add lemon rind and reserved. Add liquid mixture to flour mixture and mix. Lightly beat egg whites to soft peaks. Fold in egg whites into the mixture of flour and butter until well incorporated.
4. Pour mixture into pan and sprinkle sesame seeds. Bake for 20-30 minutes until wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I leave mine for 25 minutes.
5. Mix reserved 3 Tablespoons of honey and 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice, drizzle over the cake while it is still warm in pan. Leave to cool in the pan and then cut into 1" fingers to serve.
Yield: 12 portions.
Notes: For an authentic Mediterranean cake, substitute ¼ cup of flour with semolina.
Receta en español: Bizcocho Griego Miel y Limón.
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”~ John 16:33.