Té de Jengibre, Ginger Tea


En Español
With the winter chill and everyday stress, we can very easily catch a cold. The past week my hubby had a cold and every morning I prepared him a ginger, herbs and spice tea. in less than two days he was better and the fever was gone. Besides being a relief of the "gripe", 'tis the season for "Té de Jengibre" in Dominican Republic. Morning and evening traditional get togethers in december call for a cup of this concoction made with ginger and spices. I love it! I could drink this tea all year round.

The the elderberry flower, lemon grass and orange tree leaves are all organic and from our farm. I do have an American genipa (jagua) tree but it is very old and hardly bears fruit, so the genipa and ginger are store bought.

 If you don't have the ingredients at hand, it's fine, a great ginger tea can be prepared with cinnamon, star anise and ginger.

Do you have any traditional tea for holiday celebrations in your country? I would love to hear about it.




Lemon grass (limoncillo), I love the lemon taste this adds to tea. Tie a bunch of four leaves to make tea.


Ginger bought fresh from the local farmer's market that why it is not dirt free like supermarket ginger. Make sure you rinsed it well before peeling.


Genipa, elderberry flowers, orange leaves, cinnamon and star anise, each contributes not only flavor but medicinal benefits.



Dominican Ginger Tea

Ingredients:
8 cups of water
2 ounces of fresh ginger peeled and sliced
2 sticks of cinnamon
½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
2 fresh elderberry flowers rinsed
12 fresh orange leaves rinsed
1 star anise
a tie of lemon grass (about 4 leave strings)
¼ - ½ of genipa fruit
honey or sugar to sweeten

Preparation:
1. In a medium pot bring water with ginger to boil.
2. When water begins to boil, add all the remaining ingredients.
3. Let boil for one minute, cover and remove from heat.
4. Leave covered for 30 minutes to steep. Tea will have a light cinnamon color.
5. Strain and sweeten to taste with honey or sugar. Serve hot.


Notes:
a) Ginger is recommended in cases of exhaustion, lack of appetite, slow digestion and flatulence. Aphrodisiac qualities are also attributed to ginger.

b) Drink three to four cups daily when you have a cold. Keep the remaining tea in the fridge and warm when necessary. Keeps good for two days, maybe more, but I prefer fresh tea since it tastes better.

c) To give it a Holiday twist, you can add one chopped unpeeled apple.


I dedicate this post to my mom, who year after year always prepared this delicious and magical tea that cured all my headaches, colds, aches and pains. My mom is the best!



 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness and self-control.~ Galatians 5:22-23.  

3 Friends Have Comment:

  1. Oh my - just looking at this calms me down. I forget how much I love warm, spiced tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mary,
    I have visited your site for a long time now and it is only until today that I decided to leave a message. I really love what you do, you are very talented and I am very happy that you are cooking and giving our Dominican food a twist of your own. I have recently also created a blog of Latin American food and together with a few other sites, your site was one of the sites that inspired me to do mine. Thank you so much for all the effort you put in creating beautiful things for us to enjoy, I know the hard work that go into putting it together. I am leaving my site and name below...in case u want to visit...I am not looking for promotion since what I do, I do it for fun and because I love to cook. For me a blog is a good way for organizing my recipes and a wonderful way to practice my passion for writing.

    Cariño,
    Andria Tejada, Dominicana y creadora of www.fromscratchlatinkitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andria, I am glad you created a food blog to organize your recipes. To me is the best way to find them easy, especially if I really want my daughters to learn to cook something, lol. I am also flattered to hear I was one of many inspirations for you to start your blogging adventure. Thank you for leaving the link to your blog.

      Happy Holidays!

      Delete

You are welcome to leave a comment. Thank you for visiting Maris Cakes.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...