Dominican Cake


There are several ways to make the Dominican Cake recipe. Everyone gives it their own special touch and the recipe varies from person to person, but we all try to obtain a soft and spongy cake, with the particular and unique taste that only the Dominican cake has. It has a resemblance to pound cake, but it is softer. I have achieved very good results with the following recipe. You can use fruit jam, custard or any other option you desire for the cake filling.

The most common way this cake is served in the Dominican Republic is with Pineapple Jam Filling and covered with Suspiro (Meringue), our Dominican Frosting. 




Dominican Cake Recipe
1 pound cake (11 inch round cake)



Ingredients:
1¼ lb all purpose flour sifted (about 5 cups sifted) 640 g ~ see note i.
2 Tablespoons of baking powder
4 sticks of butter = 1 lb. (452 g)
2 cups granulated sugar (402 grams)
10 large eggs (5 whole eggs / 5 yolks)
1 cup of milk, or pineapple or orange juice (237 ml)
1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract or almond (15 ml)
1 Tablespoon of grated lemon zest (optional)

To frost cake:
See recipe of: Suspiro (Meringue).


Preparation: (Make sure to read recipe completely and all notes at the end of Illustrations.)

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 F. (175 C).

2. Cream the butter on speed # 2 and add the sugar little by little. Move speed up to #4 and continue beating until butter mixture turns a pale yellow color and creamy texture. This may take about 10 minutes depending on what type of machine you use. I use a 5 quart KitchenAid.

3. Pour the 5 egg yolks one at a time, beat well after each addition, and add the 5 whole eggs in the same way, one at at time. Beat for another 10 minutes or until fully incorporated.

4. Start to add the mixture of flour and baking powder already sifted together (see note I, below) alternating with the mixture of milk and vanilla and ending with flour. Beat only until incorporated well (30 seconds is enough). If you decide to add the lemon zest, this is the time to add it.

5. Pour the mixture into two round 11 x 2 or 10x 2 pans or two 10 x 10 square baking pans that are previously greased and bottom lined with wax paper. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. It’s ready when inserted tooth pick comes out clean. Let cool completely before placing on decorating dish, filling and decorating.








 Note: I use baking pans made of recycled material, It my way of contributing to a greener planet.

Notes:
 
a) Use the correct tools to measure ingredients, this is very important.

b) Butter and eggs should be at room temperature.

c) Reserve remaining egg whites covered and at room temperature to make suspiro (Dominican Icing).

d) Sift the flour before measuring, I recommend you do it twice for this recipe.

e) Mix the flour with the baking powder and sift again for the third time before you add to the mix.

f) You can substitute 2 tablespoons of flour with cornstarch to give it a softer texture. I do not use this, but you cold try it and see if it works for you.

g) You can use unsalted or salted butter. If you are using salted butter, omit the ½ teaspoon of salt this recipe calls for.

h) You can use up to 12 eggs to make a Dominican Cake (6 whole eggs / 6 egg yolks). This would be another option to try and use if you like.

i) The Dominican Cake could be done with 3 ½ cups (¾ lbs) to 5 cups (1¼)  of sifted flour. I measure by pounds for this recipe after sifting twice. It all depends in the texture you are looking for and the amount of eggs you like to use. Here in the Dominican Republic the butter has a higher fat count and so there are times when I use up to 1¼ pounds of flour (approx. 5 cups, it's recommended to sift and weighing to be sure that it is 1¼ lbs). Usually this recipe calls for 3½ cups (¾ lbs) to 4 cups (1 lb). You should try various amounts of flour verses eggs to see which amount in convenient for you. If you feel that with 1¼ lbs of flour your cake feels a little dry, then use less flour the next time you bake (½ - 1 cup less).

j) Do not open the oven door the first 25 minutes of baking.

k) I use two round pans 10 x 2 or 11 x 2. You could also use two squares pans 10 x 10 or 11x11 for a one pound cake. It all depends on which size you want and what height you want to give the cake. These sizes are for a one pound cake, I recommend you to see the following Cake Pounds Measurements chart as a guide.

l) This recipe is made with regular all-purpose flour. Although the Dominican cake is not done with the following flours, I wanted to include the information to clear up confusion about the self rising flour and cake flour.

Additional information regarding Self-Rising Flour: a guide to recipes that call for Self-Rising Flour (already contains baking powder and salt). If you do not have this type of flour on hand, you can substitute 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder and ¼ teaspoon salt.

Additional information regarding Cake Flour: a guide to recipes that call for Cake Flour. If you do not have this type of flour on hand, you can replace it: ¾ cup all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons maizcena (cornstarch). Remember to include the amount of leavening agent that the recipe calls for.

m) This is the half a pound recipe for the Dominican Cake: This is convenient to have at hand for a pound and a half or a half pound cake. For those who are learning how to bake I recommend for you to start practicing with this half a pound recipe, it is easier to do, you waste less and it's easier to decorate.

Follow the instructions and tips in the recipe above (1 LB) keeping in mind that this is ½ LB, it's simply all the ingredients halved:

2 or 2 ½ cups flour
2 sticks butter
1 cup sugar
3 whole eggs
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ cup milk or juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ lemon zest (optional)

This recipe uses a round cake pan 7 "- 8" square or rectangular 8x 8 5x7. I hope that this will be of great help.

n)  I also recommend reading these other posts:How to Assemble and Decorate a Cake, Made Easy! and  Preguntas sobre bizcochos en general, cupcakes y Suspiro. In these posts you will find many tips to help with decorating a cake from start to finish.

You'll find the recipes for jams and cake fillings in the Recipes tab located in the menu bar of this blog (above).





I hope to cover all the questions that I have received via emails. If you need further assistance I'm here to serve you and to help you make a delicious and beautiful cake for your family and friends. This is the recipe that I work with and it has given me a very good results.

I invite you to visit my other blog, Delights and Wisdom.




I have put together an eBook with all the facts, notes and techniques on how to prepare 
italian meringue/ suspiro successfully.

Get your copy of the eBook Suspiro, HERE.








CoverHowtocookDominicanStylebyMariNunezkdp
eBook by Mari available Sweet eBooks and on Amazon.




"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." - James 1:27

126 Friends Have Comment:

  1. I LOVE Dominican cake. Your cake looks so good!

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello mari,
    excellent post with great photos, I really like your cake specially small pink one. icing was so smooth but i couldn't get the recipe because link was broken.
    keep posting waiting for .

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi your are welcome to Mari's Cakes and Megan Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Shellsea, thanks for visiting.

    Hola Paz and Attentionfoodies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. E' una meraviglia, e sicuramente una delizia :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hola Mari,

    Voy a attentar a ser tu Dominican Cake...Te dejo saber como me queda!! lol..Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mari,
    Siempre he querido hacer un Dominican Cake. Son tan caros aqui en la cuidad..Voy a tratar el tuyo. Ohala que me salga bien.
    -Jackie xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hola Jackie, Welcome!

    Si oi que la libra esta en 50.00 dolares, WOW! Lo puedes tratar, a muchas a migas le ha quedado muy bien. Esperare tus resultados.

    Un abrazo : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hola Mari, Bueno primero que todo, Quiero decirte que tu pagina me encanta. Estado buscando la receta dominicana para bizcocho por un buen tiempo. Algunas a tratado pero el bizcocho nunca m sale bien. Espero con tu receta salga delicioso como tus fotos.
    Mari se que es una preginta tonta como ve nadie la e preguntado.
    Quiero saber como se hace la mermelada de Pina y Guava.
    No se si se hace con pina fresca o con de lata.
    No lo e tratado pero quiero hacerlo bien para no gastar el dinero.
    Mari agradesco mucho tu pagina y ojala que puedas responder mi pregunta. Gracias.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hola Rafaelina -

    Gracias por tu comentario y si espero que esta receta te resulte. Varias seguidoras han tenido éxito así que te la recomiendo. Cual quier duda, puedes contar conmigo.

    La mermelada de Pina la tengo en el blog, puedes encontrarla aquí:Mermelada de Piña Natural. La mermelada de guayaba la tengo en lista, me falta una o dos fotos y después es solo cuestión de publicarla.

    En la versión en español del bizcocho dominicano tengo la receta de media libra, así no gasta tanto material al practicar. La encontraras en el área de comentarios.

    Happy baking,
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rafaelina, perdona la tardanza-

    Se hace de las dos formas. Yo la hago con piña natural. Si quieres puedes ver mi receta aquí: Mermelada de Piña.
    Como es para probar puedes reducir ala mitad la receta. La de guayaba también la hago natural porque tengo suerte de tener un árbol de guayaba.

    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi I was excited to find your recipe online I tried it today it taste great but a little dry. what did I do wrong? please help

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hola Proudmom196, - Try it with 1/2 cup less flour, or check your butter measurement, and make sure you cream it well. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Muchas gracias por tus recetas. Voy hacerle un bizcocho para mi hija que cumple 6 anos! Siempre e querido aprender hacer un bizcocho dominicano porque soy dominicana! Muchas gracias xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. u know after u place the cake unto the cardboard, you have these white ruffles that look like table mats to decorate the cake, do u put that on top of the cardboard and then paste the cake onto the ruffle or do u have to have another cardboard on top of the ruffles and then put the cake? Do u get me?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gismelp - those are doilies ( doilys), and it all depends on the size of the cake and what look you want.

    If it's a small cake I put it right on top, on some cakes I use three to four doilies than place the cake on top. The best way I recommend to do it is by decorating the cake where it will be transported without the decorated bottom border, than cut out the laced border of your doily and shape it into a ruffle. With the help of a flat spatula insert laced cutout into the bottom of the cake.

    After installed then go ahead an place decorative bottom border of the cake. Also if you can do the double cardboard that's OK too, but do not place the cake on it until it is fully decorated and for safety I would put a dot of glue before placing cake on top.

    I hope this helps you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Why do u put flour at the end of the recipe and how much flour at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gismelp- almost all cakes you add the flour at the end, and only stir until moistened. By doing it this way you prevent it from forming gluten which makes the cake drier and toughens the dough.

    I use 1 pound or 1 1/4 pound depending in the air humidity and the kind of butter I use.

    ReplyDelete
  20. so you add flour b4 and after? Because it already says to add flour at the beginning of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hola Gismelp- You are luck I am online jejeje.

    After eggs and sugar are fluffy (beat for 7- 10 mins) you .....
    4. Start to add the mixture of flour and baking powder already sifted together ( see not tip i below) AlTERNATING with the mixture of milk and vanilla and ending with flour. Beat only until incorporated well. If you decide to add the lemon zest, this is the time to add it.

    This means you start adding a 1/3 of the flour, half of the milk, flour, half of the the milk and end with the last 1/3 of flour.

    I do not add at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sorry...jeje but thank you! You are a lot of help! I hope it turns out good. I'm doing a smal one first to see how it comes out and then ima make the big one. I'll comment and tell you how it came out. Thank you! I also sent you a comment on the cardboard page...
    thanx again :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. When exactly do u add the vanilla extract and how?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gismelp - I mix it with the milk.

    Step #4. Start to add the mixture of flour ....... alternating with the mixture of milk and vanilla and ending with flour. .......

    have a great Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. what is ur opinion for those people who don't have a cake machine or who can't afford one right now? Do you think the cake mix will still come out right if mixed all by hand because I just fijished making my first test cake and when I was adding the eggs after the butter and the sugar, it was looking clumpy instead of fluffy. It looked like the butter was melting a lot after I started adding the eggs. I don't think that is supposed to happen. Since I don't have the machine it's harder for me cuz the butter starts to melt faster as I am adding the other ingredients, but you said that itt should lok fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gismelp-

    -For next time, make sure you beat the butter for 10 minutes before adding the eggs.
    -The butter has to be at room temperature and not cold.
    -Many women do it with a hand mixer and have no problems.

    Let me know if you like how your first cake came out. Any further questions Please email me in the CONTACT FORM at the right hand side of this blog.

    Thanks,
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't have a hand mixer either. I just mix it with a spatula. Is that ok?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Gismel,

    Sorry that I couldn't reply sooner, I just got on-line now for a few minutes. About doing it by hand...I have never done it that way nor know anyone that does. You should know now, that the cake was baked, I guess, lol. How did the cake came out? I do know beating the butter by hand is not easy and the result won't be the same and when done in a machine.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I finished baking the cake and actually did two this time. I did one with orange juice and the other with pineapple juice which i got this idea from someone else's blog. And they both came out delicious. The only thing that concerns me is that I think that my cake is coming out a lil wet than should which I don't know if it matters and 2. That I think the texture might not be as smooth. The taste is delicious, but I want it to be softer like the way the box cakes come out and the way a lot of Dominican cakes that Ive tasted.What can I do to change its texture to a smoother texture and taste. And by the way, doing it by hand wasn't half bad, its just longer and more like an exercise for my wrist and I think that if I had the machine it would prob come out better in texture cuz the machine mixes better...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I meant that my cake didnt come out crumby. Its very chewy, but the taste was great!Its not dry at all. just not like the cakes from the boxes are, the ready-made ones. I hope u know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your cake does look really good, can you tell me what the difference is between using the milk or orange juice and which one do you prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  32. IGL - My personal opinion: the milk makes it softer, and it goes well with any filling and frosting, where as in using juice, your choices are limited.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Mari,

    I am a beginning baker and I am so excited to make a Dominican cake. I bought a small pan 6x2 in. to begin and would like to know how to modify the recipe measurements to make it correct for the batter and suspiro.
    Thank for sharing your beautiful work, you inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Patty, Welcome to Mari's Cakes.

    For two pans the size you bought divide the recipe in half for both cake and meringue. The size of pan you have makes approximately a half a pound cake.

    After you divide the recipes follow the instruction just as if you were doing the full recipe. I recommend you to buy an extra pan, this way you bake the full batch together. If not, you'll have left over batter sitting around until you bake the first layer, wait for it to cool and then bake again.

    If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me.

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  35. Patty - I forgot to add that you can find the recipe divided in half under tip m). Please make sure you read all the instructions and tips before doing the recipe. I also have included helpful links in this post.

    Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Mari!
    Thank you so much for your recipe post of Bizcocho Dominicano. I made if for my husband's birthday - he LOVED it so much he had 3 pieces the first time we served it! It turned out delicious, very light and fluffy! And I made the suspiro - to die for! :) My only issue was that I used 2% milk and I wonder if that is why it was not as moist as I remember it. I didn't do a filling, but I've had moist Dominican cake's w/o filling. Do you think if I use pineapple juice instead that would make the difference? I also halved the recipe, but I don't think that would make a difference there. What do you think? Thank you again!! I can't wait to make it again! Probably this weekend! lol

    ReplyDelete
  37. Carmen - I am glad you loved it! About the 2% milk, since it has less fat yes that would make a difference. Did you use 2 sticks of butter? If yes, That great, I will suggest you that next time try adding 1/2 cup less of flour. Pineapple juice makes it softer because of the acidic reaction with the baking powder and fat.

    Thanks for letting me know how you liked my recipe :)

    Have a blessed evening,
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you for taking the time and posting everything step by step!
    GOD BLESS YOU
    I was looking for the Dominican cake recipe, this one is great, I tried it and my family loved it...Gracias ;)
    http://www.lets-share-recipes.com/

    ReplyDelete
  39. JackieM67 -
    I a so glad you liked and your family as well. It only get better from here. Happy Baking!

    Thanks for letting me know.

    Un saludo,
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hello Mari,
    I am new to your blog and I am just curious to know if the Dominican Cake could be used as a cupcake?

    Also I usually add less flour to my Dominican Cake Receipe, if I add more would that dry out the cake?

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Liabeth,

    I do not use this mixture for cupcakes, only for minicakes, but that's my personal choice. I do recommend Vanilla cupcakes.

    Yes more flour will make a drier cake, if with the amount you do it works for you do not change it.

    Thanks for visiting,
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Mari,

    I tried your Vanilla Cupcakes and the were very dry. Do you know what went wrong? I followed the receipe asdirected.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Lisbeth - I always get them soft and spongy, you may want to try this:

    -Make sure the ingredients were measured properly.

    -Next time sift the flour before measuring,and see if that helps.

    -Make sure you beat the buuter and sugar well until light and fluffy this helps to add air to the mix.

    -Do not over beat after adding the flour to the wet mixture, just stir until combined.

    -Maybe you over baked them, 5-7 minutes before done take a look at them, if they have color stick a toothpick in the center, and if comes out clean then it is done.

    Keep trying you'll get it right the next time! :)

    Have a great and blessed weekend,

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Mari,

    So after successfully having conquered a moist and soft Dominican cake, I tried baking one this past weekend and it was a complete disaster. It sunk in the middle and looked like it was soaked in oil. I creamed the butter and sugar for 10 minutes and slowly added the eggs and mixed fir another 12 minutes. I then added flour and juice/Ron and this was done at stir speed for about 1 minute.
    It did everything the same. What happened? The only thing different was that I used Brugal Rum instead of Bacardi.
    Please help!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Liabeth -From what you tell me it looks like you have overbeaten both, butter and sugar and during eggs addition. Were you making a one pound cake or half pound? Smaller amount = less mixing time. Adding brugal will not affect the final product if you only added 1-2 teaspoons.

    Causes for a cake to sink in the middle could be:

    -Measurements of ingredients (adding more or less of any ingredient).

    -Opening of the oven door before cake is ready, should wait at least 25-30 minutes.

    - Overbeating (you want to beat the butter with the paddle attachment until pale yellow and smooth, but not add to much air into it).

    - Check oven temperature, it might have been lower than what the recipe calls for. If you plan to be baking a lot, get an oven thermometer to verify you oven temp is accurate, (this is a very common problem).

    Thanks for sharing your experience, this will help many others.

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  46. It was a 1 pound cake. It usually takes me about ten minutes to get a creamy pale consistency. I always beat for another 12 minutes after adding the eggs, is this too much?
    What do you recommend? Cream butter and sugar for ten minutes and eggs for how long?

    Thanks Mari for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Leabeth - creaming the butter sugar UNTIL pale consistency is OK 4-10 minutes depending in the amount and temperature. Also keep in mind I write my recipe for the general public, someone with a stand up mixture will beat less than some with a hand blender.

    I don't understand where you get 12 minutes after adding the eggs, I beat a little after each addition, and then beat for 5-10 minutes again depending on quantity, it is only until eggs are fully integrated and you get a smooth silky consistency.

    Pour the rum towards the end after adding the flour. Keep practicing, the sinking in the middle, I am pretty sure did not affect the taste. Just be extra careful measuring, sifting and mixing, and oven temp.....that all. It takes practice and this cake is very delicate.

    Have a wonderful day,
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi Mari,
    So I once again failed baking my Dominican cakes:(. Don't know what happened. I was successful at the beginning and now it just a big mess.
    So I usually bake my cakes with pineapple juice. I figured I use milk to see if the sinking in the middle and oily cake would still continue. And it worked! When I bake my cake with milk it's perfect but when I bake it with pineapple juice it sinks and it's spooking oily! Do u know why? Funny thing is that I use to always use pineapple juice and it worked fine. I'm lost!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Liabeth- I have already have given you reasons that could cause your cake to sink, in previous comments. I just don't know what to say, if you were successful at first than now your are not, there has to be something you are doing wrong or differently.

    ReplyDelete
  50. AnonymousJune 19, 2011

    May you please post the recipe for 1/4 pound of Dominican cake? i made the 1/2 half pound and it was great! then i tried to divide to make it 1/4 pound and it didn't work very well. So, please~

    ReplyDelete
  51. Anonymous - I would divide the recipe like this for a 1/4 pound of Dominican cake:

    1 or 1 ¼ cups flour
    1 stick butter
    ½ cup sugar
    2 ½ ounces whole eggs (it hard to divide 3 egg evenly, so you’ll have to weight)
    1 ounce egg yolks
    ½ tablespoon baking powder
    ¼ cup milk or juice
    ½ teaspoon vanilla
    ¼ teaspoon lemon zest (optional)

    Note: I haven't done this small amount, please let me know if you do try it.

    Thanks,
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  52. Mari, thank you for the 1/4 pound cake recipe. it worked out great, i was the anonymous who asked for the recipe for 1/4 pound~

    ReplyDelete
  53. Isais - I am so HAPPY for your positive outcome!!!! I am so thankful you wrote back to let me know.

    Have a great weekend,

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  54. AnonymousJuly 14, 2011

    Hi Mari,
    I saw at an earlier post where you said you wouldn't use the dominican cake recipe to make cupcakes. What is you reason for this? Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Anonymous - I do not use this mixture for cupcakes, only for minicakes, but that's my PERSONAL CHOICE. I prefer using my Vanilla cupcakes recipe, works better for me and texture is more appropriate for cupcakes.

    Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hello Mari,
    I am very excited to make the dominican cake this afternoon following your recipe.

    The one question I do have is where can I buy the dyes that you use. The colors are so vibrant and that's what I am going for. I do hope you can tell me. If u prefer to email me my email is t78_del@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  57. T Sweets - Already sent you an email :)

    ReplyDelete
  58. Hi Mari,

    I've been a long time fan of domincan cakes. I have done your recipe twice already. First time was good, second was better; I made a few changes to it. I got lots of compliments on the cakes. I will be baking another one this weekend for mother's bday. Can't wait

    ReplyDelete
  59. Karen - I am so glad. I wish I was there to taste it :)

    Have a great afternoon,
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  60. hello mari,
    i was very interested in ur blog i was looking for a Dominican Cake recipe since i'm Dominican and love making cake, when i found your recipe (the practice one) i decided to use it. i made it and it look nice but in the inside doesn't look nice and fluffy like you can easily break a piece with a fork is there a reason why? can u help me :(

    ReplyDelete
  61. Nelly - there could many factors. Could you email me a picture? mariscakes@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  62. Hi Mari,

    I love your site! Thank you for making your experience and knowledge available to the public.

    I am a beginner baker...i decided to try your 1/2lb recipe and although it's in the oven now and the batter did taste delicious I'm not sure i got the right consistency. =/

    I have a kitchen aid 6qt professional series mixer... i beat 2 sticks of butter adding 1 cup of sugar slowly on 2 then increased my speed to 4 and beat for about 10 minutes like you said. I then proceed to alternate my already sifted 2 cups (all purpose flour with baking powder) 1/2 cup of orange juice and 1tsp of vanilla extract (i also choose to add a little orange and lemon zest) and continued to mix but it looked too sticky for cake batter so i added a bit more juice... it did become a bit less sticky but i was concerned about drifting to far from the recipe and was too scared to add more so poured it into my pans (9x2 inch thats all i had available) but it was more like a push into the pan than pour =/

    What do you think i may have done wrong and do you recommend eye balling the amount of juice until the consistency looks smoother? I did only use the 2 cups of flour rather than the 2 1/2 so i dont know where i should cut back and where i should add.

    P.S i did all the flour mixing on speed 4 was that a mistake?

    Thanks so much i really do appreciate your time.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  63. KR- I hope to hear about how it comes out. The batter shouldn't be to thick. Did you sift the flour before measuring? It also depends on which type of flour you used and also if the right measuring cups were used. Let's see the final outcome and decide from there if more liquid or less flour works for you.

    Until next time,
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hi Mari,

    Cake is out the oven .... I haven't frosted it yet so im not sure how the texture will taste but from feeling it and looking at it- i definitely do not think it will taste light and airy like dominican cake should be. The edges are a bit hard so I'm thinking i probably should've taken it out a bit sooner. I guess it was worth a shot. Maybe i'll try again tomorrow.

    Thank you for your swift response.

    ReplyDelete
  65. Mari,

    Thanks so much for your recipe --- you are my baking idol! I used the 1/2 pound adaptation to make pastry cream filled cupcakes (I ended up with batter left over), and they were oh-so-yummy!

    I have to say, I think I messed up the suspiro, so I ended up mixing it with a marshmallow buttercream and topping my cupcakes with those... tasted good though a little too sweet... BUT I still want to master suspiro! The cake itself was awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear that! They must have been yummy! Just keep practicing the suspiro. What exactly happen to it?

      Delete
  66. Well, I never got past soft peaks, which I blame on not realizing for about five minutes that my hand mixer was on medium and not high speed when making the meringue.. and also I blame my impatience... I realized after pouring my syrup into the meringue that I hadn't yet reached that thick, "karo syrup" phase of reduction yet. Ah well, now I know :)

    ReplyDelete
  67. I really want to try your cake. Is it better to use self rising flour or all purpose

    ReplyDelete
  68. Is it better to use self rising flour or all purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  69. Jas28- This recipe calls for all purpose flour.

    Have a great weekend,
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  70. Mary thanks for your quick reply. One more question. If I cook them in a 3 inch pan larger than 8 inches do i add a flower nail in the center and reduce the temperature to 325? That's what Wilton recommends with 3 inch larger pans. I have a small wall oven and need to bake a cake in an 8 inch and 10 inch and don't want to have to use 4 pans due to time constraints. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Jass - yes use the flower nail, it helps a lot! But I would still bake this cake at 350F.

    ReplyDelete
  72. One more question. I saw another recipe that called for whites to be beaten and then folded into cake once cake mix was ready. What's the difference between beating the whites and not?

    ReplyDelete
  73. Another few questions. I saw online that spraying simple syrup on cake layers before filling keeps them moist. I this necessary with Dominican cake? Also I saw another website's recipe and it asked for the egg whites to be whipped and then folded into the cake batter at the end. What difference in cake texture to the standard method will this do? Thanks so much for answering all my questions.
    Also do you have a recipe for the crema pastelera?

    ReplyDelete
  74. Jass - THIS cake recipe, does not require syrup, since it's a soft and moist cake. Some cakes recipes require it some don't.

    I can't answer why the other site beats the egg white separately. What I have shared above, is my way of doing this particular cake. I have many other recipes that do require egg whites beaten separately, to make a sponge cake and be used as leavening, but is not the case here.

    Crema pastelera is in spanish here: Crema Pastelera, Pastry Cream.

    Good luck in your baking adventure, have a blessed evening :)

    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  75. Mary one last question and I'll leave you alone :). Can you do half juice and half milk?

    ReplyDelete
  76. Hola Jess, yes you can mix half milk half juice if you prefer. What I do is use milk and 1-2 teaspoons of lemon or orange rind for flavor. Make sure whichever flavor of of juice you use matches with the flavor of filling you are going to use.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  77. I have a question about the zest added to the cake batter? If I use orange juice... Do I have to use orange zest instead of lemon zest to match the batter flavor or do you always use lemon zest for all liquid added?

    And my other question is what fillings match the pineapple batter.. The orange batter... And the milk batter? Cuz I always get lost on what fillings are best to use? For the milk... I normally use pudding, and any filling cuz they all go well with it, but when it comes to the juice mixtures... I get lost on what fillings to use... Obviously the pineapple juice... Use pineapple filling... What else can u use for this? And when you add the guava filling... What liquid mixture do you prefer for that filling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question Gismelp...coincidentally I answer a similar question yesterday. These are great questions! Please rewrite these questions(copy paste) into my facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/mariscakesblog.

      See you there!

      Delete
    2. Gismelp -

      1) I have a question about the zest added to the cake batter? If I use orange juice... Do I have to use orange zest instead of lemon zest to match the batter flavor or do you always use lemon zest for all liquid added?

      Answer: The use of lemon zest that the dominican cake recipe calls for is optional. It's used to enhance the flavor of the cake but it is not overwhelming as to say you could taste it 100% of the times. You could use either zest for the orange or pineapple juice since they are all citrus. I mostly used lemon zest when I make the dominican cake recipe, and used any filling to got with it. I omit it if I know am going to use a chocolate filling or dulce de leche, "my choice".

      2) And my other question is what fillings match the pineapple batter. The orange batter... And the milk batter?

      Answer: They are no wrong or right matches for filling verses cake flavors. It all depends on your taste and what you like. If you sell cakes then it is up to your clients taste and what makes them happy. There so many fillings is hard to say which goes with which. When I bake I make many cakes, so I try to keep it neutral, therefore I use milk and that allows me to use any flavor of filling later on. To give you an idea, fruit fillings and/or citrus curds go with all the batters you mentioned (the milk, pineapple or orange dominican cake batter), chocolate or dulce de leche with milk batter.

      3) And when you add the guava filling... What liquid mixture do you prefer for that filling?

      Answer: Any batter flavor will do (the milk, pineapple or orange dominican cake batter), that is "for me", but if you know beforehand that you'll use guava filling, then use milk.

      Delete
  78. Mary I made the cake this weekend and while the taste was amazing the cake was quite dry. I used milk and used 4.5 cups of flour. I am not sure if I had the mixer too fast when adding flour and liquid (I had it at 4). Could that have been the issue? I baked it in a 3 inch pan and used the flower nail. I also used 2 tbsp of double action baking powder. I also added eggs and whites one at a time together. I need to bake 2lbs for a cake for my cousin next weekend and would love to get it right. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jass - Everything you did is fine you probably need less flour. I suggest you read the note lettered (i). When adding the flour use speed stir o #2.

      Delete
  79. HI Mari,
    I want to make this recipe as cupcakes. Do you need to change anything?
    Thanks!
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  80. Abby, use recipe as is. Happy Baking :)

    ReplyDelete
  81. Mary I have a few questions for you. First can I bake a cake on Wednesday night that will be picked up Saturday afternoon? I want to fill it, frost it and cover it in fondant on Thursday. Also how many lbs can I
    Make in my 4.5 qt kitchen aid? And lastly how long can the batter air out before putting it in the oven? I ask in case I need to make more batter to fill a pan. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jass28, I prefer to bake cakes same day or night before. In rare cases I have bakes 2 days before. Do what is more comfortable for you to work with. As for the 4.5 qt, I've never work in that size machine.
      I have left batter out and covered for 30-40 minutes. Happy baking :)

      Delete
  82. Hola.. Yo hice la receta del bizcicho dominicano y quedo ricoooo!! Pero ahora tengo que hacer uno para un cumpleaños y te queria preguntar cual es la diferencia en sabor cuando usas el lime zest y cuando no lo usas.. Y tambien muchas de la recetas que encontre usan el juego de china y tampoco lo use la primera vez use leche!! Que recomenda usted porfa dejame saber!! Bendiciones para usted por cojer su tiempo en estas recetas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. El uso de cáscara de limón que en la receta de bizcocho dominicano es opcional, y se usa para realzar el sabor. Puedes usar de 1 cucharadita - 1 cucharada.

      Sobre la leche, jugo de naranja o jugo de piña, puedes usarlo todos. (Los jugos que uso, "cuando uso jugo", son de marca tropicana y Dole). Normalmente uso leche, porque de sabor da más versatilidad para cuando tengo muchos pedidos para un día y usare diferente rellenos.

      Saludo y te deseo lo mejor,
      Mari

      Delete
  83. AnonymousJuly 05, 2012

    First of all I would like to say “God bless you for your generosity” It takes a very special person to give so much of herself to others. Second I did the 1/4 recipe you posted back in June 2011 and the cake came out a little dry. I went with the 1 cup of flour instead of the 1 1/4 cup. I think it’s because I used the OJ instead of milk, do you think this is the reason why? Or maybe I did something wrong. I really would love to learn how to make it right. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks anonymous! OJ will not cause the cake to come out a little dry. High oven temperature or not mixing well will cause it to turn out dry. Next time make sure to cream the butter well, sift flour as directed and verify you have the correct oven temperature with an oven thermometer.
      Using a little less flour, or adding an extra egg yolk or two will also help.

      Happy baking :)

      Delete
  84. AnonymousJuly 06, 2012

    Thank you so much for you quick respond, I have one of those new ovens and I use bake instead of conventional bake. I do have a oven thermometer and it was set at 350, but know that I think about it maybe I left it in to long. I was thinking it was a one pound cake and I should have taken in account the time. Will try again with an extra egg next time. My suspiro came out great. So proud of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  85. Hi Mari,
    Everything looks delicious! Thanks for sharing your talent! So my friend wants some Dominican cupcakes for her bridal shower. She has about 35 people coming but I want to make 4 dozen just in case for those hungry people! :-) How many cupcake liners would this recipe fill? and how many cupcakes can you decorate with one recipe of Dominican Suspiro? Thanks!
    P.S. I would love it if you posted a video on how to make the Dominican cake and Suspiro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs.J, The HALF pound recipes makes about 30-35 cupcakes. The quantity may vary depending how much batter you put in each cup. As for the suspiro, with the ONE pound version you may cover approximately 45 cupcakes decorated with a small swirl. Again quantity will vary depending on the amount of meringue used in the decoration. I am working on the videos, that's been in my plans for a long time now :)

      Happy baking!

      Delete
  86. Hi Mari,
    Your dominican cake and suspiro came out PERFECT! Thanks! But in making the suspiro it started out looking perfect but was very hard and almost looked liked cotton. It was hard to frost the cake it didn't go on smoothly. The next day althhough it still takes great the suspiro looked liked it was separating????Any ideas on thi situtation. Thank you somuch for all of your tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zinnia - I am glad you liked the recipes. For the suspiro, you probably let it boil too thick or it still needed more time beating until shiny and smooth.

      Have a great weekend :)

      Delete
  87. Hi Mari, I just finised making the cake and its been in the over for 50 minutes because at 45 minutes it was jiggly. I thought the consistancy of the cake was thick. I also made the suspiro and it is not as sweet as I thought. Any suggestions? I want to perfect myself so we don't have to count on anyone to make our bizcocho. Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous - I am glad you are willing to learn to bake your own cake:) If it took longer to bake it could be that the oven temperature is off or you used a smaller pan size. I recommend you to buy an oven thermometer. The frosting recipe is just right of sugar, you could use more sugar if you prefer, but the consistency might change. Did you still find it needed to be sweeter after tasting it with the cake and filling?

      Delete
  88. Thanks Mari for responding back. Let me tell you that EVERYONE loved the cake! Even today my sister was eating it for breakfast. I am going to make it again today. Thanks again Mari!

    ReplyDelete
  89. Hello Mari, I had been trying to make Dominican cakes for a while and had never been successful. I tried your recipe and accomplished my goal. My cake was a little dry but after reading some of the comments posted, I know what I need to do next time. Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipe!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anoymous, I am so glad you tried the recipe. Practice does make perfect, so you just started and adventure of lots of future delicious cakes! Feel free to share photos of your creations in our facebook fanpage.

      Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  90. Hello Mari and thank you for sharing this great recipe with us. I baked the cake and the taste was wonderful but can you give some reasons of why my cakes or breads don't rise, they come out too dense and or flat.... I followed the steps and don't know
    Why it comes out like that. Thank you. Please help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janina, check the expiring date on your leaveners,(baking powder, baking soda and yeasts). Also verify your oven temperature was correct. If it is lower than requested you get dense and flat cakes.

      Have a great afternoon.

      Delete
  91. Sorry but shouldn't you have the newer post or comments on top of the page?
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  92. Hi
    One pound cake is too much for my house, can you please tell me the right mesurements for a family of 5-6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean, I will go with the half a pound recipe, I shared it in letter m, under notes. 1/2 pound yields for aprox 12- 14 servings. In the comments, on June 22, 2011, I shared a 1/4 pound recipe that would be OK if you don't want seconds.

      Have a great week.

      Delete
  93. Hola Mari,

    Trate de hacer el Dominican Cake Recipe (1 pound cake) pero creo que me quedo un poco reseco. Como hago para que quede un poco mas suave? Le pongo menos harina o le echo un poquito mas de leche? Todavia me falta intentar de hacer el suspiro que lo intentere este fin de semana. Gracias con anticipacion.

    - Judy

    ReplyDelete
  94. Hola Mari,

    Hize una libra del bizcocho dominicano pero opino que me quedo un poco reseco. Como hago para que me quede mas suave? Le pongo menos harina y le agego mas leche? Gracis por tus consejos con anticipacion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Judy, te recomiendo seguir los pasos y las recomendaciones de las notas. Debes tamizar la harina antes y después de medir. Si hiciste la tamizaste y aún lo sientes que quedo reseco, entonces usa 1 taza menos de harina.

      Delete

  95. oh I like that it looks so tasty this so lovely cake i ever see here on internet.
    i love eating that's why im too fat now :)
    but most of the time what i eat are any kind of chocolates
    like milk chocolate ,French macarons, and macarons london and so on.
    well anyway that cake recipe above is interesting i wanna try that.


    ReplyDelete
  96. Hi Mari! I would like to bake a Dominican cake on a 14 inch pan. Since this is a large amount of cake, can you please recommended the amount of each ingredients I should use and how long I should leave it in the oven baking? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous - You should make the recipe 1 1/2. Meaning the ingredients x 1.5 will give you what you need. Example if you use 3.5 cups of flour than it would be 5.25 cups of flour. Oven temperature would be the same, but I will advice you to place a heating core in the center so that the cake will cook evenly. Baking time is pretty much the same, just make sure it cooked before taking out of the oven by doing the toothpick test. If you decide to divide the batter between two pans it is much better and it will cook faster.

      Delete
  97. Hi Mari, I'm wondering why my cake comes out a bit crunchy on the edges, and a little thick.? Kinda of heavy vs fluffy? Thank you.. Look forward to hearing back from you.

    ReplyDelete
  98. hi Mary I have made numerous cakes following your recipe till I got it down packed my only problem is the cake rising more on one side then the other which makes it impossible to look even. even if I add more filling on the down side it still looks very un even what is my problem. all my cakes are like that very uneven. being the batter is not so liquidity its hard ti tell which side has more cus I have tried to make sure cita even before I enter in the oven and still one side higher then the other. also I bake on convention oven I time for 45 min but 30 min in j take out cus it looks done. and it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, if you have everything down packed with the Dominican cake recipe, try checking and leveling your oven or oven racks. Sift the flour with salt and baking powder twice to make sure it mixes evenly, also when you pour the batter in the baking pans try shaking them back and forth to even out batter.

      Have a nice week :)

      Delete
  99. Hi Mari! My mother and I tried baking a cake today. The taste was on point. However the texture was dense and more like a pound cake. We used 2% milk and allowed to mix while we greased the pan. Would any of these things contribute to the lack of fluffiness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Yandira,

      I use whole milk and have never used 2%, therefore I can´t tell you if that is the cause. From what you tel be I could say to double check the measurements of the ingredients, and to cream the butter well at speed 2-4 until it is very pale yellow and creamy. The air incorporated while creaming the butter helps in the consistency of the cake.

      I hope this helps you.

      Delete
  100. Hi Yandira... If I may add to what Mari said. I used to be a person who wanted to learn how to bake. Now I have become a Baker who sells At home thanks to Mari and another great Baker I'm familiar with. To add to your question... Also over mixing can cause the cake to become dense instead of fluffy. Make sure that after adding the flour at the end that you just count to 10 and stop the mixer. I have 2 years now in business. Hope I helped with your question. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gismel! Congrats on your on buisiness!

      Delete
  101. Mari,
    Que clase de liquid te gusta utilizar para que quede moist? jugo de pina, leche, leche carnation o jugo de naranja? Please let me know xual es tu favorite y que diferencia ahy en liquidos. Gracias.

    ReplyDelete
  102. Mari,
    Que clase de liquid recomiendas para que quede moist? jugo de pinia, carnation, de naranja or leche comun? please dime cula es la diferenci si elijo uno de esos.
    Gracias

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Pilar, yo uso leche entera (regular) y queda muy bien.

      Un saludo y gracias por visitar el blog.

      Delete
  103. Hi Mari,

    How can this cake be converted into a Chocolate Dominican Cake?

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  104. Hi Mari,

    How can this recipe be converted into a Chocolate Dominican Cake?

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  105. This worked,for with 3 1/2 cups of flour and 1 1/2 of milk. Came out perfect. It was my second try, after the original recipe you posted, the 5 cups of flour are like making pizza. Thank you Mari..xoxox Candice

    ReplyDelete
  106. Hello Mari, I only have 2 9x2 round pans available and I did not see those measurements on the table that you used for measuring. I wanted to know how much batter I should use for that amount, should I used just the 1/2 lb recipe or should I just go ahead and try to do the whole pound in just those 2 pans? Also I use a hand mixer so when i alternate the flour and milk should i just fold those in with a spatula or should i still use the mixer? I am afraid of over beating and having a dense cake.

    ReplyDelete

You are welcome to leave a comment. Thank you for visiting Maris Cakes.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...