Tomato Dessert (Dulce de Tomate)


My husband prepared this dessert for me when we were newlyweds.  I was surprised when I heard him say dulce de tomate... because I had never heard of tomato dessert before. When I tasted it, I was immediately amazed on how great it tasted. My dear husband firmly believes that after one tastes this dulce (dessert), it will become a favorite!

This is one of many traditional fruit desserts in Dominican Republic, but it is not commonly found in stores. I have already shared this recipe in Spanish when my blog was only a few months old. I've always wanted to translate it, but never found the time until now that I am organizing my recipes to add the ZipList save recipe button and for the new recipe index I have under construction. Below you'll find the translated recipe for this delicious dessert. The sweet syrup is a base recipe to prepare many Dominican fruits desserts; you just need to replace the tomatoes with other fruits.













Tomato Dessert (Dulce de Tomate)

 
Ingredients: 
5 pounds (2 kilos) of tomatoes
3 cups sugar (600 g) or to taste
2.5 liters of water
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons vanilla (optional)
Pinch of salt.

Instructions: 
1. Wash the tomatoes and set aside.

2. In a saucepan bring to a boil 10 cups of water, reduce heat, introduce the tomatoes in the boiling water until you see the skin begins to peel off. Remove the tomatoes from the pot; reserve the water to make the dessert syrup. Place tomatoes in cold water in order to completely remove the skin. You could also remove all the seeds or as much as you can.

3. Place the tomatoes and hot water in a heavy-bottomed pot. Simmer for 30 minutes or until tomatoes begin to soften a bit. Add sugar, cinnamon sticks, ground cinnamon, cloves, pinch of salt and vanilla. Simmer until the syrup has reduced and has slightly thicken. Serve warm or cold. Store in a plastic container with lid or sterilized jars in the refrigerator.

Notes: Tastes better the next day served cold.

Receta en español: Dulce de Tomate.

"May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth. A loving doe, a graceful deer— may her breasts satisfy you always, may you ever be intoxicated with her love." ~ Proverbs 5:18-19.

Recipes and Tips