Pico de Gallo or salsa fresca as some may call it, is an all time favorite at home. We prepare it almost every week to accompany our chili con carne and nachos night. This simple recipe, but full of flavors and colors can be served as a snack with tortilla chips for your guest to enjoy while you serve the main dish. If you don’t already have a favorite way of preparing this salsa, then this recipe is for you. WARNING!!! Fresh homemade salsa is 100 times better then store bought and can be highly addictive!
If you need a good guacamole recipe to go with this salsa check out this recipe: Guacamole Recipe.
Pico de Gallo
3 large red tomatoes or 6 Roma tomatoes
1 white onion (sometimes I use red onions)
1 bell pepper or 2 cubanela peppers
½ cup chopped cilantro
1 jalapeno pepper (optional)
Juice of one lime
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse all veggies and begin your adventure of chopping!
2. Finely dice the onions, peppers, tomatoes and fresh cilantro.
3. Finely chop the jalapeno if you decide to add it, just remember to remove the seeds to make it milder.
4. Mix all the ingredients in the bowl. Add the freshly squeezed lime juice, salt and black pepper to taste.
5. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Taste best on same day.
Yield: 3 cups
a) Be careful not to make it too salty if you’re serving with tortillas chips, which are already very salty on their own.
b) After sitting for a while, this salsa might get extra juice, you may drain if desired.
c) You can double the recipe easily if you have many guests or if you like this salsa as much as we do at home.
Depart from evil and do good; Seek peace and pursue it. ~ Psalm 34:14