Yesterday Mother’s Day was celebrated in Dominican Republic, my lovely daughters, prepared these breakfast doughnuts, as their accustomed surprise breakfast for Mother's Day. I was truly surprised how well they followed the recipe instructions and how delicious it tasted. I am sure you'll love to do this quick and easy donuts recipe.
Great tasting doughnuts with spices. Ideal as a morning breakfast. This recipe is based on old Irish settler recipe and instead of yeast, uses mashed potatoes for speed and flavor.
3 cups all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup Sugar
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
1 cup firmly packed mashed potatoes (very smooth)
2 large eggs
1 cup Buttermilk (or a mixture of plain yogurt and half lowfat milk)
Vegetable oil, for frying
Cinnamon Sugar to Coat:
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
One 3 inch and 1 inch round cookie cutters
1. Mix flour, salt, spices, baking soda and sugar in a bowl. Rub in butter with your finger tips until mixture looks like crumbs.
2. Add mashed potatoes, mix slightly, add eggs and enough butter milk to make a soft biscuit like dough. If dough feel sticky add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time.
3. Turn out into a floured surface and knead for a few seconds until smooth. Rolled out to ½ inch thick, then cut out rounds using a larger cutter. Stamp out the center of each rounds with a smaller cutter. Re-roll the trimmings and center circles, then cut out more rings.
4. Fill a large sauce pan with frying oil (about 2 inches) or a deep- fryer to manufacture's recommended level. Heat to 350ºF. Fry the doughnuts 2 or 3 at a time, turning them frequently, until well browned and cooked through, about four minutes.
5. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels. Mix the cinnamon sugar ingredients together, sprinkle over doughnuts, then serve warm with coffee. Best eaten within 24 hours.
Yield: 12 Doughnuts
Esta receta en español: AQUÍ
I couldn't leave out what my husband cooked for me at dinner, although he is not into cooking, he made this with lots of love and it tasted great! I am grateful that in addition to not cooking on Mother's Day, I also feel loved and special ALL year round. To my Love and three princesses I give my heart and all the hugs in the world!!
MOFONGO by Mr. M.
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. - Ephesians 4:29-32