Sweet Beans, Habichuelas con Dulce


Remember that last year I shared the traditional Lent dessert in the Dominican Republic, Sweet Beans (habichuelas con dulce)?

Well, today I made this dessert like usual in Lent, and I wanted to share it again with you and the new followers, who have not yet seen this recipe in this blog.  I will also answer a few questions I have recently received regarding this recipe.

- Could  vanilla be added? 
Yes, you can add vanilla to your sweet beans (sweet cream of beans). I do them with or without vanilla.

- Guarina milk cookies are not found where I live, can the Maria type cookies be used instead?
Yes, you can use Maria type cookies, I have not tried it, but a follower of Europe did, and she told me it was delicious.




- Is it necessary to add the ginger and boniato (batatas)? 
No, it is necessary to add ginger or boniatos. I do not like to eat the sweet potatoes in the sweet beans myself, but I use it and recommend using it to give your cream a thicker texture.

- The beans look much lighter in color then what I see in your picture, what did I do wrong?

You have done nothing wrong. When mixed with the milk in a blender the mixture will look whitish in color, but as soon as the sugar is added and it  boil for a while it will darken.
  
 For the Sweet Beans (Habichuelas con Dulce) recipe go: HERE

  
For the Sweet Beans (Habichuelas con Dulce) recipe go: HERE



Note: 
- Another recipe you can do with sweet beans is homemade sweet beans ice-cream. Place a bowl or a tray of ice cubes with sweet beans in your freezer and once frozen it is delicious! You should blend or mash the boniatos with a little sweet cream before freezing. If you try this let me know if you liked the idea.

As soon as the sweet beans I did today cool down, I will place some in the freezer and will update this entry with photos, by next week.


I also did some esquimalitos. The esquimalitos are homemade ice cream made in small and narrow plastic bags. It's very typical in our country to sell frozen goodies in this style.


Leer esta entrada en español: AQUÍ

Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.- Hebrews 12:14

7 Friends Have Comment:

  1. Delicious Mari!!! Thank you for sharing. I ate these once and I was in love!! Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful desserts Mari! Great ideas for Lent period!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very nice! I like the idea of the ice cream, too!

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hola Paz, I am glad to se you. It been a while :)


    To all- have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For about how many people can i serve with this recipe? .. tenemos muchas gente en mi casa y a mi me encanata!

    ReplyDelete
  6. about how many people can i serve withthis recipe.. estoy en san martin con mis familia (antiyanos) y no saven hacer habichuela con dulce entonce yo lo tengo que hacer :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole, I haven't accurately measure it, but I believe it is enough to serve about 20 medium bowls.

      Enjoy!

      Delete

You are welcome to leave a comment. Thank you for visiting Maris Cakes.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...